Falling

I leaned Captain up against the back of the building and quickly checked around the corner. I had to pull my head back and hold my breath as the platoon of Marines rushed by. Captain kept his mouth shut, jaw tight. His eyes were tight and angry. Bepo giggled and patted him on the shoulder. "Don't worry, Captain! I think it's cute! The crew will be fine without you. I can be the captain!"

"Bepo!" I hissed. "Knock it off."

"Sorry..." He hung his head, clouds of depression raining down on him.

I crouched next to Captain Trafalgar and shook my head. I pulled a couple warped bobby pins from my hair and bent them even further. "What the hell was that guy thinking?" I grumbled to myself as I attempted to pick the lock.

Captain snorted. "That this was the only way he'd be able to escape after threatening my tomato."

I smiled slightly. "You sound so protective. Almost as if she's your little sister or something." I felt the silence for what it was: him controlling the blood flow to his cheeks. "Don't worry, I won't tell."

The lock clicked open and Captain rubbed his wrist. "Split up. I want Andromeda-ya found as soon as possible." He glanced down the street before turning back to us. "The marines are on high alert. Worse now that they know we're here."

Bepo and I nodded. I knew it was my fault for firing a gun in the diner, but I didn't feel guilty. Just disappointed that I missed. "Sorry."

"Hm." He nodded absently. "Kill anyone who gets in your way. We can escape a few marines. We can take out the Black Antlers if we have to. We do not want to fight Celestial Dragons. Make sure we don't have to."

I gulped. "Right." If Andromeda fell into the hands of the Dragon on the island... I couldn't bare to think about the consequences. The world Government would never stop hunting us. There would be no rest after killing a Celestial Dragon. I shook the snow from my hair and stood straight. We wouldn't leave all at once. I would go first.

When I was sure that there were no marines present, I stepped onto the street. I blended in just fine with the people who lived here. All I had to do was keep a look of wonder on my face as the snow came down. It was harder than I thought.

I kept thinking that my hands were so much colder than they needed to be. Empty. I could almost hear Andromeda grumbling about how much she hated the cold. I meandered the streets, half looking for Andromeda and half looking for any member of the crew I could alert to the situation. I found Iruka and Jean-Bart at a pastry shop. It was kind of cute seeing Jean hunched into a tiny white chair, sipping out of a tiny pink teacup. A large book rested on the table next to his petite strawberry cake. Iruka spoke animatedly through large bites of his chocolate monstrosity. He threw his arms out and laughed. His jolly expression faded when he saw me through the window.

The inside of the shop was cozy and warm, with a little girl feeling to it. Soft pastel pinks and whites with accents of gold illuminated the entirety of the store with a feeling of safety and young femininity. The smell of baked goods swirled around, melding harmoniously with the sound of quiet chatter from the mostly feminine population of the shop. Eyes kept darting over at the two obvious pirates, accompanied by blushing and giggles.

I started a few rumors by pulling up a third chair at the small table.

Iruka met my gaze steadily. "Is Captain worried about the Dragon?"

Jean hardly glanced up from his book, but it was enough to let me know he was listening intently. I inclined my head. "A bit. Mostly he's pissed that some snot haired brat came in to threaten her."