X-Day One

Forest outside Ravenswood

Alexis

I looked around the forest to make sure that I was alone. There were no Walkers around as far as I could tell, but I didn't want to stay around here to find them or have them find me. I ran for the nearest tree and started climbing it as much as I could. There was no way for me to return to Ravenswood with my exile. Ciara lied to me! She said that I would be brought back if I told the King what I told her in the dungeons. Yet, I saw her face when the King announced my exile. She was shocked and wanted to protest at the King's announcement for my exile. It wasn't her fault that the King decided to exile me.

It was mine.

The Prince said that I shouldn't have said that I wasn't going to be a slave anymore. That was the mistake and the solid piece of evidence that the King needed to exile me. They knew that I knew what I was in Ravenswood and I was a threat to them and the stability to their control over Humans. I was a threat to them? That meant that they were scared of what I thought and the truth of what Humans really were in Ravenswood.

They didn't want Humans to know what they really were: Slaves. Slaves to order around and feed on. They wanted to control all of humanity. They exiled me out of Ravenswood in order to keep the secret. The King, the Prince, every Vampire wanted the human race, my kind, as their lowers. They wanted to be the masters and Humans as their slaves. Anyone who started to question their authority was exiled. I couldn't have been the only one to have thought of this. Were there any others that thought the same way that I did. Were they exiled the same way that I was?

As I climbed the tree, a branch hit my wounded wrist. I let out a hurt groan, but quickly shut my mouth as I didn't want any Walkers to know where I was. Just the thought of running into one of those monsters made me sick to my stomach. I finally reached where I couldn't climb anymore and looked around. I suddenly wished that it wasn't night. I needed the day light to see my way around so I looked for anything that might lead me to the Resistance or anything that might lead to any other humans. Fire, light, voices, anything. It wouldn't be hard to tell Walkers from Humans. Ciara said that Walkers couldn't speak. If they couldn't speak, what could they do? That was my only clue to finding Humans. They speak. However, I had no idea what to do if I ran into a Walker. The only thing I could think of was running away.

The King said that they couldn't be killed as they were dead already. Was that true? Vampires were dead, yet the attacks on Ravenswood by the Resistance proved otherwise. The wooden spike lodged in the guard's chest, the king burning the scout and other Vampires that failed him, and the sunlight. There were 3 ways that I knew to how to kill a Vampire, but none for Walkers.

I finished looking around for signs of life and started making my way down the tree, hitting my wrist once again in the process. I would need to bandage it up before I started making my way to well...anywhere. Once I touched the ground at the foot of the tree, my hand brushed against a bare part of the tree. I felt the bare part of the tree was made into a circle and in the center was something carved into it. Someone had stripped away the bark of the tree and made a mark in it. Feeling it in the darkness of night by running my hands, I tried to figure out what it was carved into the tree. Running through the alphabet, the carving didn't match any letter that I knew. It was a line with what felt like of a V, but flipped on it's side, the inside part of the point touching the line.

It wasn't a letter, it was an arrow and it was telling me to go right. Was this placed by the Resistance to tell exiled people where to go? Placing my head to tree, the arrow was telling me to go up a hill where a metal barrier was placed at the top. It wasn't close but it was still a bit of a walk. I hoped that my cloth slippers could hold together until I found the Resistance or any other Humans. Before I started my trek, I tore a part of my skirt and tied it around my wrist to hopefully stop the bleeding. Pulling the cloth from my dress tight with my other hand and teeth, I decided that it was tight enough to stop the bleeding. Looking back at the hill and metal barrier to where the arrow was telling me to go. I took a deep breath and started walking, keeping myself quiet to avoid drawing attention to any Walkers in the area.