XII- The Resistance

???
???

Alexis

My eyes slowly opened and all I saw was white. A bright white light was above me and I was lying down on a bed. Not the one from the Eagle, but a different one. One that I was chained to by my wrists and ankles. There were also two straps over my chest, preventing me from lifting myself from the bed. Looking around by turning my head and eyes, I saw that there were curtains surrounding me and there was a metal stand to my left which had a bag full of what I think was water, with tubes leading to and sticking into my left arm. To my right, there was a strange thing that had three different colored lines. One red, one green, and one yellow. There were also numbers at the upper left hand of the screen. A sixty over a one hundred. I would have gotten up and looked at it more, but the chains prevented me from moving.

As I was about the lay down again, the curtain at the foot of the bed flew open. A woman in a long white coat holding a metal plate came in. She looked as old as Miranda was and I didn't know if she meant me any harm. She also had a strange necklace around her neck. It came to two points on one side and a round knob on the other.

"Ah, you're awake. Can you speak?" she asked, her voice neither demanding or strict, but warm and caring.

"Yes, ma'am." I barely managed to squeak out. It felt good to be speaking to another person, than just hearing the dead silence of the Eagle.

"I do have one question for you before I release you from those cuffs." she said, holding up a key that hung on a string around her neck. "What were you bitten by?"

"What?" I asked.

"The bite on your wrist, what was it? Vampire or Walker?" she asked her eyes narrowing.

"Vampire." I said. "A Vampire bit me."

The woman let out a sigh of relief. "That's good, no need to kill you. Vampire bites take longer to heal and they can be mistaken for Walker bites."

"Are you going to kill me?" I asked, frightened.

"Heavens no! I'm a doctor. When I became a doctor they took an oath. One of the tenants of that oath is 'Do no harm'. I'm not here to hurt you, I'm here to help you." She took the key off her neck and unlocked the cuffs and undid the straps. "So, Alexis can you tell me what you were doing out there all alone?"

"How do you know my name?" I asked.

"The collar told us what we needed to know. Ravenswood, uh? That's a dangerous place for any human."

I reached up to my neck and didn't feel my collar around my neck. It was off! "Where's my collar?"

"We cut it off. There's no reason for you to wear that horrid thing while here with us."

"Where is here, exactly, ma'am?" I asked.

"With the United Survivors of the Apocalypse or as I've heard others call us, the Resistance." she smiled.

"This is the Resistance?" I asked. "I'd thought there would be more here."

"I'll take you for a tour later, but right now let's finish this up. Back to my first question: What were you doing on the highway all alone in an RV?"

"I was exiled from Ravenswood. I did something stupid."

"I see and how long were you out there?" she asked, using a writing utensil on here metal plate.

"Fourteen days." I said.

"Two weeks? Were you by yourself?" she asked her eyes widening.

"Yes, it was only me."