02. Ambition and Loyalty

"Finally you are home, son!" Father announces as soon as he sees my figure passing beside the parlour room.
Several portraits and paintings stare from the walls, awaiting a response.

It has merely been a few hours since my eventful meeting with the Penroses.

My foot hangs in the air for a while-- sigh escaping-- till Edmund, the butler, comes to my side and offers a hand. He looks at me with a shadowed understanding as I hand him my top hat.

Mother is also sitting opposite to my father-- teacup in her palm-- and welcomes me with a smile.

I do the same for her.

Father takes this as an opportunity to gesture towards the settee sofa in the centre. The fireplace crackles a warm glow on the small circular table in between us.

I curve my way around the sofa till seating myself in its centre, arrm bent on the rest and legs crossed inwardly.

My home, Edenfield, has always been the widest contradiction to my choice of profession.

"How was today, Matthew?" Mother asks, as she takes another sip from her teacup.

My mouth parts, but Father replies for me,
"Oh, it must be the same as every other day. Mustn't it, boy?" he laughs.
"With all the terrible hospital odours and children clinging onto their mothers as if the doctor might be a demon." He bends down to take the fire poker in his hands and further ignite the fire.

I smile, quoting the family motto,
"Filodoxía kai Písti páno ap 'óla."

Ambition and Loyalty above all.

Mother gives me a tilted gaze.

My bent arm straightens and ties around my upright knee.

Putting the poker away, Father folds his hands against each other again.
"I told you so many times, Matthew: Why must you work a labourer's job when we have our own company and lands." He sighs.
"Is it not ingratitude towards the Lord to deny oneself of the luxuries He has given one?"

"Percival." Mother bends forward to place her half-drunk cup on the table.
"One would think we are in church at the moment." She smiles again.

"Estelle, I only think that the boy needs to worry about more important things. Like marriage. Afterall, he is our scion..." Father voices out his thoughts.

Something moves by near the windows-- something black with a touch of silver.
It's gone, before my eyes can even narrow at it.

Strange...

The grandfather clock strikes five times-- bidding its own ode.
Mother shooes me away, as if I am a school boy; even though, I am of four-and-twenty.
"Be in time for supper, please," she adds.

Definitely like a school boy.

Standing up, I nod at both of them, but then tilt my head.
"Mother, do you know anyone of the surname Penrose?"

Father coughs-- clutching onto his chest-- both Mother and I canter towards him. Mother is merely off his seat, while I am only a few steps away.

He holds out a hand.
"Worry not. The heat and coals must be getting to my throat."

Father then waves a hand at Mother to sit down and me to back away.
"Let me..."

He shakes his head.

I sigh.

"No, I don't think so. Why do you ask?" Mother says-- changing the course of the tide.

Turning to her, I say,
"Demand of curiosity, I suppose..."

Fingers tugging at a blue cloak.
An ounce of silver within black.

Shaking my head, I proceed to my quarters in the West Wing with arms tucked across my chest.

That is till someone's laughter changes my direction.

We'll see about marriage later...

Hullo everyone! So glad y'all could come

Hullo everyone!
So glad y'all could come.

AND SOL ALREADY HIT #648 ON THE HIS FIC HOT LIST AHHHH <333

This chapter's dedicated to my very good friend and inspo druidrose

Without her, I never would have introduced to NaNo and perhaps wouldn't even have started this story.
Thanks MB ❤️

And welp, I can't belive my emo phase playlist, tbh.
This song was my jam

Music: Down the Stairs-- The Young Victoria soundtrack

Don't forget to vote! ❤️

Have a great week!
Love,
MS Zame