13. Cold Fire

The birthday party carries on with the slowness of the Greek gods’ justice. Afternoon sun shines on the Edenfield’s gardens, while the guests chatter away amongst themselves.
Isabelle laughs at something Timothy has said. Both of the adolescents stand next to a row of lilacs surrounding the gardens.

Henry and Miss Evanna are standing a bit away.
My brother shakes his head at something Miss Evanna has said, but both are with grins. Uriah Cushing also joins them with a relaxed posture and wide smile.
Grandmother Penelope stands with the elders, Uncle Matthias's handkerchief in her hands.

Father turns to me, still a few feet away. He keeps nodding at his talking companion, as his eyes stay on me.
But only for a moment before Mother joins the two.

Sighing, I place my glass at a nearby table, actually paying attention to what Uncle Arnold, Mother's paternal cousin, is saying.
After he is finished, I say,
"How is everything at the police station?"

He smiles and pats me on the back. At that, we steer towards the back gardens.
"Fine. Everyone misses you there." He winks.

"You act as though they know who I am." I roll my eyes with a grin.

Shaking his head, Uncle takes a deep breath.
"Though, someone named Isaac Crimley is causing is grief."

Crimley...

My gaze travels to the red roses trimming the sides even at the back.
"Why is that?"

Uncle bends down, surveying the exact same roses.
"We never find anything against him. He covers up his tracks amazingly well."

My arms fold across my chest, chin touching my chest.

Anything against him...

Uncle touches the tip of the rose where its petal and thorn both intersect each other.
"Strange thing these flowers. So beautiful and yet..." He brings the thorn further into the light, glancing back at the party.
"If you'll excuse me, your Aunt Vivian and I have to take an early leave."

Nodding, I shake his hand, staying in the back as he walks back to the party.
I'm about to return as well when a laugh rings throughout, one with a low pitch.

It's coming from the servants’ quarters nearby.

Bright rays of a candlelight come through the ajar door of hardwood quarters. Furrowing my brows, I step a bit closer.
Two men, Edmund and Gilbert stand there with their coats off, laughing.
Gilbert smiles at Edmund laughing. The latter takes a few moments to notice this, but returns the gesture.

I haven't seen Gilbert smile like this ever since his wife died of childbirth, seven years ago...

My head tilts to the side, as they step closer till there's no space left between the two.

Ears start reddening, as I pull myself from the door. Though a smile still comes onto my face, as I walk away from these quarters.

 Though a smile still comes onto my face, as I walk away from these quarters