12. Mercutio to your Romeo

"Gilbert, stop embracing those flowers and put them in the drawing room!"

"Oho, I'm not embracing them! I'm nourishing my bluebells before Ma'am Belle's birthday!"

Both Elizabeth and Gilbert bicker away about the arrangement and settings of flowers when I enter. Edenfield looks far more alive this afternoon than it usually is. All because of the youngest's upcoming birthday.

An extra neigh resounds, one that's familiar, but not from one of our horses.

"Dear Lord, why all the noise!
In my day, servants never muttered a word."

Oh no. No. No. No. No.

An old woman, much older than Mrs Penrose, strides outside with the strength of a gladiator and her cane proving as her chariot. A poodle follows her as her loyal steed.

Perhaps, I should enter by the back door...

Just as my feet pivot, the poodle barks louder than a church bell in the morn, making the woman turn around.

"Matthew! Back from the morgue, I see. So honourable of you to leave that gutted den earlier."

Before I can move another step, the handle of her cane hooks in my elbow and holds me back.

"Very, Grandmother Penelope." The cane doesn't bust. Instead Grandmother's eyes bore into mine.

"And hullo, Wilhelmina. My trousers must be excellent desert for you." I look down at the poodle chewing the back hem of my trousers, hiding from Grandmother.

Grandmother bends down to pet the poodle and it eventually releases me, scurrying off into the gardens.

But also taking a chunk of cloth with her.

The grip on my elbow loosens a bit to the point of almost slipping.

That is till it tightens and Grandmother now grabs my chin. Her faded blue eyes stare at with me one lid half shut.
"You know, this work of yours affects your sister's complexion.
Also, she is taller than Noah's ark!" With that, she releases my chin and elbow.

"Wonderful endeavour Grandmother, but I'd have been riled if I was a fifteen year old," at my saying so, Grandmother's furrowed brows straighten and a grin spreads on her face.
"And how on earth is my working and Belle's complexion co-related!"

She chuckles,
"Though, I do admit I miss the days when you would be easily riled."

My arm slides itself from the cane and crosses my chest

My arm slides itself from the cane and crosses my chest. With a swift bow, I step to the side when Grandmother's voice trails behind me,
"Because of the sins of the father always follow! You are as good as her father, being the eldest."

That makes me turn around.
"Sins of the father?"

"The sins of the father shall follow your heirs to the grave."