48. The Impotence of Being Ernest

Russet leaves fall to the grounds, signalling the tally of days. Before even knowing it, Henry’s birthday has come. His twentieth.
A birthday everyone in the family only hoped for to come because of his illness.
And now it’s a reality. A tainted one albeit, but still a reality.

My footsteps echo on the wooden panelling, going to rows and columns of rooms looking for the said brother.

How is he so good at disappearing, especially before social gatherings?

“Are you sure you told him all about the arrangement for the end of the ball?”

“Of course, I did. Watching the birthday from aside doesn't mean we can't manage our surprise.”

“You know, this is exactly why we're friends, Isabelle.”

Tilting forward with narrowed eyes, I stiffen into a corridor with two adolescents lurking around the corner.
“What surprise?”

Timothy jumps at the sudden voice and Isabelle puts a hand on her heart, feigning a grumble, “Dear Lord, Matthew!”

“You two didn't answer my question.”
Shrugging into the view, I place my gloved hands at either sides of my waist.
The clamour of guests and preparing servants resounds through the bright walls.

“We weren't doing anything.
We were just preparing a surprise for Mr Henry.” Timothy rubs a hand against the sleeve of his coat.

“I’m not letting you two go without knowing.”

Isabelle waves a golden gloved hand and rolls her eyes.
“Come here then.”

Stepping closer, I lean in as they tell me what they’re planning.
To my surprise, I say,
“That's actually a good idea.”

Isabelle flings her arms about.
“Finally, he understands!”

Timothy sighs in relief and throws his hands behind his neck.

“Mind you, don't do that within the ballroom walls.” I point to him and hear some more familiar chatter around the corner.

“I’m not there right now,” Timothy says, but straightens at my saying so.

“Now you two go and wait outside the ballroom for your preparations.” Their ears quip at my emphasis.
“I’ll come back after fetching Henry.”

“But what about Evanna?” Isabelle asks.

“She and Mr Henry will probably be together.” Timothy shrugs.

“Thank you for the council, but please go before some parents bite my head off because of their children's disappearance.” I wave a hand at them and they walk down the carpeted hall, whispering about their plans.

Shadows grow on the wall with night. The moon rising higher and higher, but somehow never removing the darkness through the leaves.

Nothing… absolutely nothing…

A caw echoes.
My head snaps towards it. A raven sits on a branch outside. Pale moonlight silhouettes its figure through the collosal windows. However, it has no silver weather. Perhaps that's why it flies away without further ado.

This isn't the time to worry about it, but… Nothing...

Not withdrawing my gaze from the window, I walk in the direction of familiar voices.

That raven isn't going to ruin today, especially since someone I want can't come.

More laughing echoes and I turn towards it.
Following the sound, two figures appear from the library, one red headed and another brown haired.