24. Circus in the Rain

Only five days have passed since my chess game, but they seem more like five centuries.
Only five days have passed, and I've already taken two night shifts in between.
Only five days have passed, giving me numerous opportunities to check Crimley's information, but never finding the strength to do so.
Perhaps, it's the dread of its confirmation or maybe its escape that I do so.

A brutal wind gorges through Edenfield's gardens, making everyone's clothes thrash in the wind.

All of us stand on the edge of the cobblestone pathway leading to the gates.  Wilhelmina, Grandmother's poodle, traces her hem as Grandmother talks to Mother.

Though, I stand still as my eyes keep gazing at the peacock blue flowers around us.

Mother and Grandmother embrace one another, the former almost dissolved into the latter's sturdier figure.
"We will miss you, Mother," my mother says to her own.

Grandmother only pats her cheek.
"I don't doubt it." She smiles.

She moves to father, who takes her hand and kisses it.
"Your stay was most pleasurable for everyone, but I wish it could be longer."

I look away at the exchange, trying to find the beat of my heart racing and fists clenching.
But to no avail.

"Oh, I can't. Someone has to be the ghoulish lady of the Granville Cardiff estate." Grandmother clicks her cane, hauling herself forth.

My parents only smile, their postures unusually stiff.

Then someone else with bright brown eyes comes into my mind.

After what your father did to her mother, you still...

My head shakes.

Grandmother narrows her eyes at Isabelle and Timothy whispering to each other. But they stop after noticing her.

Isabelle steps forth to embrace Grandmother. Like our mother, she's buried in Grandmother's arms.

Through the embrace, Grandmother waves her cane at Timothy.
"Be good to my granddaughter."
The two break apart.

Timothy blinks his large brown eyes but bows without complaint.

As Grandmother moves past, she says out loud.
"And don't you two make your own gutted den for those thieving botanical observations you do."

The adolescents grumble lightly.

Grandmother smiles at Miss Evanna standing at Henry's side and they make light conversation. But then the conversation turns to the nearly absent Ingram parents.
"How is your father now? And mother?" Grandmother asks.

"Grandmother..." Henry interjects.

"They're all right."
Miss Evanna's smile falls for a moment.
"Father's lower limb paralysis is better, but he is still indisposed," she sighs,
"And Mother... she's less withdrawn." Miss Evanna tries smiling again.

Nodding, Grandmother takes a few steps back. She regards the Ingram siblings for a few moments.
"You two are always here, as if Edenfield were your own home."

Miss Evanna and Timothy glance at each other, blushing.

Henry turns to me for help. I can't look at him.

Grandmother smiles at them both, her hand brushing against Miss Evanna's cheek.
"I only mean it as a good thing, loves."

Grandmother then turns to Henry at my right. Before he can say anything, she does the same to him as she did to Isabelle.