Chapter 5

A gust of wind blew past King Dice violently, making the tail and the sleeves of his jacket flutter as one of The Devil's henchmen circled him. The Devil probably sent that one to check on him, or so King Dice hoped as his stomach blew up in excitement at the thought.
"They're sticking awfully close..." Dice whispered to himself quietly.
It was all so surreal. When King Dice turned around, The Devil was stood in the doorway leading to the staff rooms, his yellow eyes that glowed in the dark were burning into him and Dice could feel the heat burning through his chest and into his cheeks.
Dice walked over to him and greeted him with an awkward wave.
"You're uh...Making me awful uncomfortable staring at me like that from all the way over here," Dice chuckled.
Devi didn't look as amused and his nose wrinkled with distaste, as if Dice should even dare joke around at a time like this.
"Its for your own safety," The Devil's tail swirled around behind his back and one of his ears twitched, mimicking the sound of the beat of a butterfly's wing.
"I know but--"
"No more questions. I don't want you stressing yourself out,"
King Dice felt frustration bubbling up in his own stomach.
"I deserve to know! It's my past!"
"I SAID NO MORE QUESTIONS!!"

The whole casino went quiet as The Devil's fur rose with the volume of his voice.
King Dice was shocked. Never once had The Devil yelled at him during the years they had been working together.
Embarrassed, he took off towards his room and locked the door behind him.
Only then did he cry. Never in front of his boss.

Wracked with guilt, The Devil took it out on the room full of people that now had their eyes on him.
"What are you all staring at?!"
Fearful, everyone turned their heads and went back to gambling their souls away, and The Devil hid away in his office for the rest of that night.

After collecting himself, Dice paced around his room, occasionally hitting himself in the head with the palm of his hand hoping that he'd be able to remember something.
Why did everything have to go wrong now? After everything he'd done to secure himself a place in Inkwell Hell where he felt like he could belong, and now it was all going to crumble beneath his feet.
Unless he could find a way to get Devi to crack...
Through the agonising emotional pain he was feeling, King Dice concocted a plan, a way to both use the situation to his advantage and get back at Devi, and it was perfect.

There was one thing The Devil hated most in this world, amongst many other things, and that was being ignored. Especially in times of crisis.
The weekend rolled around and Devi finally got the guts to admit he was wrong, which was the second thing he hated the most.
However, when he showed up to Dice's room, the door was open and the object headed man was nowhere to be seen.
"Has anyone seen King Dice?" Devi called out to the staff, unbeknownst to him that they were in on the prank.
"No, he's been missing since last night," The Rabbit claimed, reaching out for Roulette's arm with shared laughter.
"What are you two giggling about?" Devi raised a bushy eyebrow in curiosity.
"Nothing~" Roulette replied with her thick, Russian accent "Just an inside joke!"

The Devil searched for King Dice all day, riddled with anxiety from the tip of his horns to the claws on his feet, which never stopped running him around Inkwell Hell until late that evening. Meanwhile, the staff kept pretending to be worried, occasionally faking a search party just to make The Devil all that much more convinced. King Dice hid out underneath the stage all day, the one place he knew Devi would never look. That's what you get for crossing King Dice.

Later that evening, Dice snuck out through the back of the stage and left the house, pretending to return through the front door with a handful of shopping in both hands. Lucky for him, he also knew Devi wouldn't be interested in looking at what he had "bought", otherwise it would have been hard to explain why he supposedly came home from town with half of the casino's junk in his shopping bags.
The Devil was perched on one of the chairs in the casino, having been eyeing the large front doors for a good couple of hours.

"Oh, hello! You look tired--"
Before he could continue Devi's arms were wrapped around him tightly. Dice couldn't help but hide a smirk, glad that his genius plan had worked. 
"Dice! I thought something happened to you! Where have you been?!"
King Dice just smirked and placed the bags down on the floor before prying Devi away from him and turning around so he couldn't see the bruise-like blush on his face. He didn't say anything though, just walked towards the bar and sat down.
"Talk to me Dice...please," Devi whined, "I'm sorry,"
Dice didn't say anything still. He just grabbed a glass and began filling it with water.
Before he could lift it to his mouth The Devil placed a large paw on top of the glass and forced Dice to put it back down.
"Please, just talk to me..."
Dice let out a sigh.
"Not until you talk to me first. How am I supposed to know what kind of danger I'm in if I don't even know who this person is? I might just go out again tomorrow,"
The Devil rubbed his hand against his forehead.
"And if I ask you to stay you'll ignore me again, wont you?"
Dice nodded.
"You seem to forget that I practically own you, right? Soul contracts and all that stuff,"
"You know that trick won't work on me anymore. I know you would never destroy the contract. That was part of the deal, remember? I work by your side forever and in return, I give you my soul,"
The Devil chuckled and Dice smiled at him in return.
"You've always been a little devil, haven't you?" Devi asked rhetorically.
"That's funny coming from you,"
There was more painful silence after that. For the first time in years Devi felt crushed. He had cracked.
"Fine...I'll talk. Follow me-" he groaned, getting up from his place at the bar and slowly beginning to walk to his office. Dice followed close behind his heels.
"-but you're not gonna like what I have to say,"