Chapter 11

When the pair reached the apartment, King Dice was only half shocked. They entered through the rusty main doors and into the lobby, which was so quiet it was almost piercing. Nobody was behind the main desk, which Dice assumed was a regular thing because his boss didn't waste any time going straight towards the elevator. The button made an alarmingly loud clicking sound when it was pressed which made Dice jump. He covered his face in embarrassment. How did he become so weak?
Sometimes when he showed signs on weakness like this, he was worried The Devil would burn his contract, too. It was a stupid fear that had been lingering in the back of his mind constantly for the past month, and nothing, not even the acts of kindness that had been shown to him had been able to change that.
The sound of the elevator pinged as it arrived on the ground floor, and when Dice opened his eyes to make his way into it he realised that Devi's hand was resting gently on his shoulder. He didn't say anything, neither of them even looked at each other when they entered the tight space, but the gesture was comforting and enough to distract King Dice of any fears he had for at least a few minutes.
It was when they reached the top floor when his thoughts started running again. They walked in silence to the room at the end of the corridor. The wallpaper lining the hall was dark with stains and crushed bugs that had never been cleaned off. It smelled bad, like someone had died in one of the rooms. Perhaps they had. 
King Dice payed no attention to the code that The Devil was entering into the keypad by his door, but the sound of his nails clicking against the buttons was calming to him somehow.
He didn't really know what he was expecting when the door was opened and the lights came on; but the apartment was pretty...average. It was decently decorated, the wallpaper was nicer in comparison to the state of the rest of the complex. There were plant pots on the windowsills, which Dice struck as odd for a moment, but he was always taught not to judge by looks when he was younger, and I guess The Devil's exterior was hiding more secrets than he thought. Not like King Dice was one to talk.
The bedroom, the kitchen and the living-room were connected, the only separate room was the bathroom. Then Dice noticed the balcony. A sigh of relief escaped him when he realised he had a place to smoke.
"Make yourself at home," Devi said casually and took a seat on the couch. Dice placed his bags down next to the coffee table and gave Devi a nervous smile.
"Are you sure this is okay?" he asked.
Devi just nodded; "Perfectly,"
Dice fidgeted with his fingers nervously. He felt like such a burden and the thought that his boss might be lying for his sake weighed on his mind like a plague.
"You're not inconveniencing me, you know,"
The King jumped and his face went bright purple.
"I told you to stop reading my mind!" he yelled. It was playful though, he had no reason to be angry, really.
Though he wondered where-
"You'll be sleeping in my bed, I'll have the couch,"
"If you're trying to put me at ease by doing that, it's not working," Dice chuckled, but he felt better know that they were joking around, so it was working.
He felt bad that Devi felt as though he had to sleep on the couch, though. He blamed himself a little bit, actually, like he had put him off with his nightmare from the other night. It made his stomach tighten.
"You're not going to sleep with me?" Dice flushed at the sentence's double-meaning and was glad that The Devil was preoccupied with trying to get the TV to work, "The bed's comfier,"
Devi's ears twitched; "Maybe tomorrow. I want you to get used to staying in a new place. I'll be here all night, though"
King Dice was kind of disappointed, but decided against thinking or saying anything in response. Instead, he began unpacking his things and went straight to bed.
The sheets had the lingering smell of smoke and booze on them, but they weren't too pungent. He guessed that The Devil had tried to wash them before he arrived. It was nice.
Dice drifted off to the sound of his boss lightly chuckling at the television all night, and dreamt of "happier" times; back on-stage in the casino, getting drunk and being carried into his room. Maybe they weren't the best times, after all. Maybe things were just starting to get better.