Chapter 6

King Dice sat down on the chair opposite Devi's desk, where the beast placed his paws gently on the wooden surface. His claws were tapping against each other as he tried to swallow his nervousness down.
Dice nodded eagerly, as if to confirm to Devi that he really wanted to know the full story.
Devi hung his head and let out a humongous sigh, the anxiety that left his body tickled his organs on the way out and caused him to feel sick. He ignored the feeling as best he could and finally made eye contact with King Dice, his yellow eyes drooped sadly.
"You...came to me one night after an argument with Yuri Boifrin. He had drugged you in your room and was beating the shit out of you. He was jealous because you were always closer with me than anyone else, even after you and Yuri started dating,"
King Dice's eyes widened. He dated that fool? What was he, an idiot...?
"Remember when you used to come into my office every night and sing me to sleep? Yuri would listen in. Ridden with jealousy. The night you came into my office, beaten and battered, you had told me it hadn't been the first time. I had seen the bruises before. I did nothing about it...Until then,"
Devi shuddered.
"What did you do?" Dice was shaking, but pressed on with the questions. He was remembering everything he had gone through and without thinking, he grabbed hold of Devi's paw for support. Devi let him.
"He followed you in, pressed a gun against your head. I had never seen you so scared. He tried getting me to give him your soul contract. So I ripped out one of his kidneys and ate it in front of him. That bastard. I should've killed him when I had the chance. How dare he show his face here again..."
Devi felt droplets make contact with the skin on his paws, and when he looked up, Dice was crying.
Before Devi could console him, Dice was the one talking.
"After all of this time I spent chasing your tail like some love struck teenager, breaking my own set of hearts along the way, you never gave up on me...You've always been there. How could I ever have doubted you before...How could I forget?"
Dice looked up at his master pathetically, a silent plea for more answers.
"He...wiped your memory on the way out..." Devi lied.
"That coward," Dice whimpered, and put his head on the desk, completely defeated by the world around him.
"We'll fix this, Dice. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise you that. Tell me you believe me,"
There was a short silence before The Devil leaned over the desk and kissed the top of King Dice's head.
Dice felt all of his muscles relax.
"I believe you,"