Chapter Ninty

They switched into detective mode pretty quickly. Atwater grabbed an evidence bag and prepared the box, pill bottle and note for the lab. Antonio started checking into the patient name on the bottle and Erin called Hank to fill him in. If this bottle had come from Bunny's apartment they'd want to go over any evidence and video homicide had collected to see if it could help them figure out who sent it.

Jay felt his anxiety ratchet up a notch when he and Al got back from talking to a CI on another case and Erin filled them in on what was going on. No one came after his partner and got away with it. He was thankful the unit wasn't currently working on a high profile case because it meant Hank was taking this as a threat against one of his officers and making it a priority. Jay immediately started checking into anyone she'd put away who had recently been released. He was sure someone had payback on their mind. He was also sure he'd do whatever it took to get his hands on whoever it was before they hurt Erin.

"So the pill bottle had a partial print on it that was a match to Bunny's right index finger." Atwater filled the team in as they gathered in the bullpen for an update.

"So the likelihood it came from her place is pretty high then," Dawson deducted, sitting on the edge of his desk.

"I can't find any connection between her and the patient, Gabriel Ross. But Gabriel called the cops about a couple months ago. There was a break in entry at his home. I spoke with Gabriel, there's a long list of things that were taken from the house, jewelry, money, prescription meds, mostly things that are easy to fence. The detectives investigating don't have and suspects," Ruzek said as he wrote the date of the robbery under a picture of the pill bottle on the board.

"Bunny knew lots of shady people. It wouldn't be the first time she'd bought pills like that still in the bottle," Erin reminded them.

"Agreed. I doubt the actual bottle is going to lead us to anything. I want to know how our mystery man got the bottle out of Bunny's apartment and to Erin. And I want to know who he is," Voight told everyone with a stern look.

"I'm going over all the video homicide sent over now," Mouse piped in. "And I'm already cross checking the finger prints from the crime scene to see what pops."

"We have nothing to go on with the flowers. They were send two weeks ago and Platt was at the courthouse with us when they arrived. The uniform that filled in for her couldn't remember anything helpful about who delivered them and there's nothing in the card to indicate what shop they were purchased at," Jay informed everyone from his own desk.

"Platt was able to identify the messenger service that sent the box though and I'm heading out to talk to the guy now," Al finally spoke up.

"Good keep me up to speed," Hank commanded as he turned to walk back into his office.

Erin followed him inside and closed the door gently. "He knew I used Hank. Why else would he word the note like that. If he knows that..."

"As I told Halstead a few minutes ago I'm well aware of what the implications there are."

Erin bit the inside of her cheek. She wasn't sure how she felt about Jay already being in here talking about this. She shook off her defensiveness. He was her partner. It was his job to have her back. But she did worry that if they didn't figure this out quick this would send Jay back down a hole. She couldn't let that happen. He'd been working so hard to face his demons and get back in control.

"Just focus on finding out who this guy is," Hank directed, letting her know he wasn't going to entertain any more side talk on the matter.

They spent the next day exhausting every lead but they were no further ahead then when the package arrived. That night a quadruple homicide had Hank paging Erin and Jay out of bed. With a high profile case to solve the mystery of the flowers and pill bottle were put on the back burner. But not before Hank gave Erin a sage warning.