Chapter 6

"Emmy, you have the data for subject C 36, right?" Chuck asked, standing behind me. I turned around.
"Oh. Yeah, it's right here." I smiled, handing it to him. He nodded, glancing down at my hand to grab the paper from him. His face fell when he saw part of a bruise on my wrist, and I hurried to cover it up.
"Did Janson do it again yesterday?" He asked quietly. His curly hair fell in front of his eyes.
"Uh, Yeah. It's fine though, I'm okay." I assured him. He made a face, his eyebrows angling with slight anger as he glared at Janson across the room.
"I hate him. He's done it to me too...twice actually How many times has he made you do it?" Chuck said quietly. I frowned.
"I think 12." I mumbled quietly. Chucks eyes widened.
"12...12 times? I thought twice was a lot." He said sadly. I ruffled his curly hair.
"It's okay. I can handle it." I said, flashing him a weak smile. He nodded.
"I couldn't do it again. I was shucking bawling before they even brought me to the room the second time. I peed my pants the first time, too." He said quietly. I let out a little laugh.
"That's okay. You stay safe, okay? And if Janson tries to do anything you let me know." I said quietly, holding his hand. Chuck smiled and nodded before turning and scurrying away. Newt sighed next to me, pulling a headset off of his ears. Thank goodness they were soundproof, so he hadn't heard my conversation with Chuck at all.
"You do this every day? It's all blurring into one shucking image for me." He groaned, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.
"Yeah...you get used to it. I'll show you the workout room later, it helps to take a break."
"Okay, sounds good to me." He smiled faintly, clicking a few things on the computer. He leaned back in his chair, glancing back to the monitor with a bored expression as he set the headphones down.
"So...you said that when we...'get ejected' we end up here, right?" Newt asked calmly. I nodded, turning in my chair to face him.
"Yeah. It's confusing, I know." I laughed. He nodded.
"Well, I just...I keep thinking." He paused, rubbing a finger over his lips.
"Well when I...died, they were really close to getting out." Newt said, more to himself. He turned to look at me, licking his lips.
"What happens when they make it out? Do they wake up here, or..." he trailed off, leaning on the arm of his chair. I froze. I honestly had no idea.
"I...I can't answer that. They've never gone over what happens at the end." I answered honestly. I but my lip as I glanced over at Ava, who was currently staring at one girls monitor. I turned back to mine and started searching through the files. It took me a few minutes, with newt leaning over my shoulder before I found everything. A file with a code that I needed to enter to access it.
"Klunk. Of course." I sighed, leaning back. It's the only thing on here that has anything to do with the end of the simulation, and I can't open it." I sighed, glancing around the room again.
"Well then now what?" Newt said casually. I put a finger to my lips, watching Ava Paige as I put my hand in my pocket. She wasn't looking, so I quickly pulled out a small chip from my pocket, plugging it into the side of the monitor.
"What's that?" Newt asked again, and I shot him a look to tell him to be quieter.
"It's a decoder disk. Bought it from some geek that used to be in group D." I mumbled quietly. The chip made a file appear on screen, and I dragged the hidden document into it, watching the program pick away at it until there was a quiet beep and another document popped up.
"Got it." I whispered to Newt, and he smiled. I pulled the disk out of the computer, slipping it back into a pocket.
"Okay, let's see what we've got." I said quietly, peeking over the top of the monitor to make sure the coast was clear as I clicked open the file. A document appeared on the screen, with images of gladers, and other group members that were currently in the simulation.
"Okay, So....I paused, scanning over the document. Newt peered over my shoulder, his eyes following along with me.
"Um, something about terminating the trials if there is no abundant source of the cure found yet." I murmured. My heart beat faster in my chest.
"Well what does that mean?" Newt asked. I shook my head.
"I think it means that if they don't have a good way of finding the cure before the simulation is over, we all get to go." I smiled to myself. Newt squeezed my hand.
"Go? Go where?" He asked quietly. I kept scrolling through the file, and the final paragraph caught my eye.
"It says that all subjects and immune workers will be sent away to the paradise they have planned for the people that are still awake in the simulation," I read quickly.
"They transfer the subjects bodies that are currently still employed in the simulation, and then deactivate the simulation itself...so, they basically bring all of them there, and then let them wake up in their actual bodies." I explained to Newt. He nodded quickly, his eyes scanning my face.
"Which means what for us?" He added. I glanced back at the screen and kept reading.
"All remaining employees or past subjects will be transported to the safe haven as a last resort to keep humanity alive. This will happen only if a sustainable cure has not been found, and will be determined at the end of the simulation." I read quietly to Newt.
"So wait, that means we'll get to see the others, if they don't find a cure? Like we'll all get to see each other in the..safe haven or whatever?" He said quietly. I nodded.
"Oh my god...well get to see Minho, and Tommy, and everyone else." He said slowly, a smile turning the corners of his mouth slowly upwards.
"Yeah, we will." I nodded. He smiled brightly before wrapping his arms around me in a hug.