Chapter 14

I'm really sorry you guys. I can't think of where to go with this book. I had an entire idea laid out in my head, like an entire plan on them escaping, but I can't put it into words. I'm just going to end this book fairly quickly. Thank you to everyone that read this story. It probably sucks, and I appreciate all of you reading this. I'm posting a few more chapters, but this just didn't work out how I wanted it to.

The next morning I woke up to screaming outside our bedroom door. Newt woke up first, gently shaking my shoulder as he sat up.

"What's going on?" I yawned, rubbing my eyes and blinking a few times to wake up.

"I don't know, Love." He mumbled, climbing out of bed and heading towards the door. He looked through the little peephole in the solid wooden door, and shook his head.

"It's chaos out there." He mumbled, opening the door a crack. I groaned and stumbled to my feet, heading over to see for myself.

"Oh..." I trailed off at the doctors running through the hallways, scurrying about like chickens with their heads cut off.

"What's going on out here?" I asked a nearby scientist, holding onto Newts arm as I glanced around.

"They finished the simulation early. This wasn't supposed to happen for two more days." The scientist panted, then sprinted off again to do god knows what.

"Wait....early? The others made it out?" Newt asked quietly. He was obviously more awake then I was, as i rubbed my eyes.

"Made it out?" I yawned. Newt gripped my shoulders, looking at me.

"Emmy. The others. The gladers. They made it to the safe haven." He said slowly, like he was waiting for it to sink in.

It did.

"Oh my god. Oh....oh my god, we need to go." I said, snapping into reality and grabbing his hands.

"Grab your stuff, we're going to see them again!" I squealed.

We both bolted across the room, grabbing the few possessions that we had and wrapping them in a pillowcase that we clutched in our hands. Newt went to open the door when I put a hand on his shoulder.

"Wait. We aren't supposed to know what's going on." I thought aloud.

"What do you mean?" He raised an eyebrow.

"The file. Remember? The computer? We weren't supposed to see that. All the other gladers must have no idea what's going on. We need to blend in." I explained. Newt nodded slowly, glancing down at his pillowcase.

"So we can't bring this?" He asked with a frown.

"No. Leave it here for now. If they let us take it later, then we can bring it. We have to act like we don't know what's going on." I sighed, tucking it under our bed. All of my belongings were inside, but it would have to wait. Newt did the same, leaving his pillowcase next to mine. On cue, an alarm started blaring in the hallway, along with the recorded instruction.
"All subjects report to the cafeteria. Attention. All subjects report to the cafeteria. Thank you."

"That's our cue." I mumbled, turning to Newt. He nodded back, and I'd never felt so glad to have him with me.

"Okay. Let's go." He sighed, taking my hand.

Not even a minute later, we were sprinting down the hallway to the cafeteria, where all the other previous gladers and current WICKED test subjects had gathered.

It was still fresh in my mind. I understood the situation, but almost couldn't comprehend it.
They had made it out. They were free. We just needed to make sure we were on the first train/helicopter/berg/whatever other form of transportation WICKED had.

I dragged Newt over towards Ben, Alby, and Chuck, and the rest of the gladers from our maze.

And then we did nothing.

WICKED didn't know that Newt and I were aware of what was going on.

We had to act confused, crammed in the cafeteria for hours as we waited for instructions.

By now, guards had been stationed at the doors, keeping us inside.

So I sat with Newt, and the entire cafeteria was silent as we waited for someone to tell us something.

For someone to open the doors and usher us into a train car or something.

For someone to take us to our friends.