Chapter 16

We barely even made it back to our room before I was fuming, slamming the door behind us the second we walked inside. I started rummaging through our remaining belongings, trying to find something I could use as a weapon if needed.

"Emmy, it's fine." Newt said calmly, hands on his waist.
"I'll just wait it out and meet up with you and the others later, Alright?"

"No, Newt. I'm not leaving you here because I know what they'll do." I said angrily, slamming shut one of the dresser drawers and throwing a scarf onto the bed.
"They'll torture you, and jab you with needles, and and make you relive all the sh*t you went through in the simulation!"

"I can handle myself, Alright!" Newt snapped.
"It's a few months, and I've been handling it just fine so far, haven't I?"

"Oh, yeah, you've been doing great. They haven't really been running any tests on you, and you aren't sitting here all alone. Guess what, Newt, they send everyone else away and you'll be stuck here alone, day after day, reliving all the crap you already went through." I said loudly, on the verge of yelling.

"I'm not some helpless baby, even though you might see me that way!" Newt yelled back.

"I'm not saying you're a baby, I'm saying that with less people, there will be more tests, and you don't want to go through that." I said firmly. Newt tensed his jaw, pacing slightly.

"So what's the other option, huh? We try to break out, and...and we get ourselves killed?" Newt asked loudly, eyebrows furrowed.
"Is that really any better?"

"You don't know that that's what would happen." I argued.

"That's exactly what would happen!" Newt yelled.
"You really think the two of us can make it out of here? Do you honestly think that would work? Without Minho and Thomas and Gally and everyone else that we needed just to make it this far? Everyone that's still out there? They're still out there, and we're not, alright?What does that tell you, Emmy? Maybe it says that we're the weakest links, so how in the world do you expect us to get out of this bloody hellhole with nothing but a few pillowcases?" He picked up one of the pillows and threw it against the wall, making a small thump as it fell to the floor. He stopped yelling, and so did I. My heart was hammering in my chest as I shook my head.

"I can't leave you here." I said firmly, planting my feet, lowering my voice just slightly.
"Not again, Newt. Not again."

The room fell silent as he took a breath, running his fingers through his hair and pacing again. We both calmed down, and he rubbed his lip with one hand while the other remained on his waist.

"So what's your plan then....If" he paused, pointing at me.
"And that's a big 'if'......I go through with it."

I sat down on the edge of the bed, tucking my legs up beneath me.
"We sneak you out. They're going to need to get us all to the safe haven somehow, so they'll probably use a berg. We can just have you hide away somewhere." I suggested, chewing on the inside of my lower lip.

"It's risky. You know that." Newt frowned. "I could get caught, and then I'll end up back here in an even worse spot than I was before."

"True..." I sighed. That was the last thing I wanted. They'd run all sorts of tests on him, hell, WICKED would drain everything from him until there was nothing left. He would die here.

"Then we come up with a different plan." I said, and newt sat across from me on the mattress. He sat with his legs crossed and his elbows resting on his knees.

"We dont have much time, love. They're probably going to be shipping all of you out of here really soon." Newt said quietly.
"I don't want to spend the last bit of time I have with you planning an escape and feeling sad about myself."

"It could work-"

"Not against WICKED, Emmy, and you know that." He frowned. I didn't bother arguing on this one. He was right. Newt sighed and traced his finger on his knee while licking his lips.
"They have too many guards, and too many weapons. They have cameras everywhere and they probably have trackers in our heads. If we try anything, it won't work."

I nodded slowly, looking down. He was right. Anything I came up with would just get him in even more trouble, right? It wasn't worth it. He must've noticed my expression because he grabbed my hand, letting out a small sigh.
"No more fighting, Alright? I'm not sure when you'll be leaving and I don't want our last thing to be an argument."

"You're so cheesy." I smiled sadly, but it also tugged at my heart a bit, too. The last thing I wanted to think about was leaving him again, but it was time to accept that it might be happening.
"And it's not like you're dying, or anything." I added. Maybe I was saying it more for myself.

"Of course not. It's just going to be a little while before I see you again." Newt nodded sadly.

"I'm going to miss you." I mumbled quietly, looking down and picking at the bedsheets with my fingernail.

"I'm going to miss you too." Newt leaned down, kissing the top of my head. I leaned into his chest, letting out a small content sigh as he wrapped his arms around me.

I didn't say anything as I slipped my hand into the pocket of my jeans, holding onto the small plastic card. I had swiped it from one of the scientists during the meeting thing in the cafeteria.

And I wouldn't tell Newt, of course, but my brain was already coming up with another plan.

Sorry for the short chapter