Chapter 4: My Pleasure

Ocean still isn't back to his usual self once they arrive backstage. They wait with the US Olympians in what resembles a stripped version of an 80s ballroom.

Up to this point, the opening ceremony has involved a projection of constellations onto the ground stage, performers dancing dressed as polar bears, and a flurry of music by Vancouver's famed 01 Symphony. Even from backstage, the trumpets ring in Will's ears—brass instruments screaming in the athletes' welcome.

Will and Ocean watch it all unfold from a screen backstage. The former wonders if his partner has a bundle of nerves coiled in his stomach.

"Let's do a run-through," Will suggests. No one cares or is watching, busying themselves with the interviewers or their own teammates. The ice skating team, led by flag-bearer Terra James, is off to one side—admiring the American flag and snapping photos with their smartphones.

They move to the corner of the waiting room, partially hidden by a concrete beam that shoots toward the high ceiling. "I thought Coach B said not to think about our competition on the opening day."

"He only said that to relieve our anxiety," says Will. "What he actually meant is that we shouldn't psych ourselves out. A quick run through won't hurt anyone—he'd agree with me on that."

Ocean makes an attempt to rejoin the athletes, but Will blocks his way with a sidestep. As always, Ocean is doing the better job mingling with the others. But there is still something off—a nervous energy that Will can't quite place his finger on.

It bothers him.

"The only thing Coach Burnaby would agree on is that you're a know-it-all."

Will smirks. "And I'll take that as a compliment."

He takes Ocean by the hand, finding a chilled palm. "Are you still shaken up by the broken elevator?"

A slight pause, telling Will all he needs to know.

They can read each other so well, maybe even better than their own mothers. "You'll feel better once we walk through our routine."

Without waiting for a response, Will begins to step briskly in one direction. He isn't heartless enough to hide a smile when Ocean acquiesces, falling in sync. "Okay," he agrees. "But only the short program."

They mimic their first element—a synchronized triple axel—with a short hop in the air. Like with every run-through off the ice, their grips tighten then release. Even though they don't hold hands throughout the entire routine, their shared grip allows them to feel each other out. Counting the seconds, visualizing the movements, they can do it just as easily as reciting letters of the alphabet. 

To mimic their lifts, Will presses his back against Ocean's chest, relaxing as the taller boy raises him an inch or two above the ground.

Ocean always uses both hands under Will's armpits. When they were younger, he would ruin the entire practice-run by deciding to play the role of the tickler.

Are you five years old?  Will used to say, grumbling as he tried to free himself from Ocean's grip. Can you get through one of these things while treating it seriously for once?

Ocean used to laugh as if he was the one being tickled.

Eventually, with Will not having any of it, Ocean stopped altogether.

Why, when the other athletes are laughing among themselves, when he and his partner are hidden in this darkened corner, when they're skating on thin ice in another way altogether—why does Will want Ocean to do it again?

"Shoot me," says Will, once they've come to another major element—a throw jump where Ocean launches him into a quadruple lutz.

Instead of moving into a skip or hop, Ocean responds in a way that he always does off the ice.

He makes the shape of a pistol with his right hand, aiming it at Will's heart. "Boom."

"Dead or alive?" Will asks.

Clean or crapped?

"Dead," Ocean says. Clean. Finally, he shows a hint of a smile.

Will smiles as well, forgetting the rest of the routine. "Do you feel any better now?"

This time, there's no pause before the other boy answers. "Yeah, I do.... Thanks Will."

My hope and pleasure.

A/N : Thank you for reading, and please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed