Chapter 6: Sunset on Tuesday

The afternoon sky faded away and the walk grew longer. It seemed as though the creek was farther away than last time. Maybe because both myself and Storm were being awkward and nervous.

I don't know why I was nervous, that kiss must have changed something inside me. I don't know what.

"Here we are." Storm said, brushing back a wall of leaves to reveal a sunset against the trees on the other side of a reflecting river.

I see two chairs, the same chairs we sat in as children. We walk on the rocks to the chairs and sit facing each other at an angle.

"What do you want to talk about?" I ask.

His eyes look to me, and I swear I see them sparkle. "My answer stays the same."

"Why?"

"Because I want to know you."

I scoff, "Lets be honest with each other. You don't like me. You are trying to play me, make me fall for you. But, little do you know, I won't fall for it. Ever."

"You don't even know me." He responded, the twinkle gone.

"Maybe I don't. But I do care. Just stop messing with hearts." I say, looking out to the river.

"You have no right to tell me what I can do." He said, anger growing in his voice.

"You're right. But maybe you should consider it, though."

He doesn't know why. He doesn't know that I had liked him for years. He doesn't know that I put an anonymous note in his locker. He doesn't know I saw it in the trash. He doesn't know that I cried for days.

"Okay." He said, looking to me.

"Really? I wasn't expecting that." I answer back.

"Well, I just want to prove that I'm not the guy you met years ago." He said.

"Try. That's all I want." 

"Alright." We sit there for a few moments and the sun dissipated behind the horizon, leaving us in peaceful darkness.

"It's Tuesday." He said, breaking the silence.

I laughed, "I know."

I looked to him and he looked to me. His eyes fell to my lips ever so slightly before they found their way back to my eyes. I took a shaky breath when he licked his lips so quickly you wouldn't have noticed it unless you were watching him.

We stayed watching the twinkle in each other's eyes for a while. "Let me show you something." He says.

I smile and stand. He motions for me to take his hand and for some strange, awkward, stupid reason, I did.