Family Jewels/Marina

I can't break the cycle...

I woke up to find my dad passed out drunk on the couch, bottles of beer scattered around him, all I wanted to do was smash every bottle of alcohol that hadn't been drunk so that he couldn't so much as have a drop of alcohol.

Am I just a fool?...

Sometimes I wake up and I feel like everything that I'm doing to keep my family together is all in vain.

Falling down like dominoes...

I hate how Dad's alcoholism brings everybody else down, just because he's not coping with Mom's death.

Hit by family jewels...

He still thinks that should I respect him even though he's a drunk, stupid, stupid man.

Pass it down from kid to kid...

Shit!, Abby has started drinking like Dad does, shit, shit, shit!.

The chain will never end...

Dad and Abby drink, I clean them up after they drank too much, it then starts again.

Less I decide to go to it...

Should I just brake every bottle of alcohol that comes into the house?, or should I leave them to their own devices and never look back?

Will I see the end?...

Will they ever drop the bottle?, will they ever stop wallowing in self pity?, will they ever realise that I've had enough?

don't you find it strange?...

"Dad?"
"Yeah Gia?"
"Will you ever stop drinking?"

I swear that he pretended that he didn't hear me.

Only thing we share is one last name...

I hate him!, I hate him!, I hate him!, he hasn't done anything for me since Mom died, he doesn't even care!.

Did I beat you at your own game?...

I stopped caring about the wellbeing of him, I wanted to see if he even noticed that I hadn't done anything, the fucker hadn't even noticed.

Typical of me to put us all to shame...

Apparently I'm the one who's bringing down the family, has he not looked in the mirror recently?.

Welcome to the family jewels...

Abby gave birth to a baby that she didn't know that she had gotten pregnant with, all I can say is welcome to hell.

Coal to diamond, sold to fools...

The American dream is having a family and moving to a nice house in a nice neighbourhood, only a fool would buy into the American dream.

Simmer and suffer, can't keep his cool...

He lashed out tonight, slapped me across the face, only a couple years until I'm 18, then I can move out without them bringing me back to him.

I can't keep my cool...

I had it with him drinking until he can't drink no more, so I screamed at him then I left.

Family said that I decided to live a loveless life...

I had gotten into medical school, he was fucking pissed off when he found out that I had gotten in.

Is it my fault we stay divided?, 'cause I got too much pride...

Abby had the audacity to blame me for her fucking drinking problem, bitch, if anyone was to blame for your alcoholism?, it's Dad.

Pass the parcel, wrap, unwrap, and open up the locks...

We all finally decided to sit together and discuss what the fuck is going to happen to Mom's stuff.

Out come flying all the secrets of Pandora's box...

I looked through Mom's old diaries, only to find that she was going to leave Dad had she been alive...

Oh, you think I'm unfit?, little did you know that I was cut for it...

I graduated from Medical school today, he turned up, he then started saying things like.

"How the hell are you going to be a Doctor?"

I have one word for him... Dickhead.

No glass slipper will ever fit, 'cause I could never see a diamond in it...

Dad made a comment today, about how I'm never going to get married, but I'm not mad at him because he's right for once, I'm not going to get married, because I have made it this far in my life without a man providing for me, so why start that shit now when I can stand on my own two feet.

Welcome to the family jewels...

Abby has welcomed another child... Poor kid has an alcoholic mother.

Coal to diamond, sold to fools...

Abby is quick finding out about the truth of the American dream and how it's not all it promised to be, but I guess that's why it's called the American 'dream' and not the American 'reality'.

Simmer and suffer, can't keep his cool...

Dad blew his lid again, what a surprise, but I can't kick him out of my apartment, he has nowhere else to go, and while he is an alcoholic asshole, he used to be someone who'd tuck me into bed at night with stories and lullabies, where did he go.

I can't keep my cool...

I kicked Dad out, I couldn't deal with his mood swings anymore, I couldn't deal with his self pity party that he likes to throw himself with alcohol.

And when we're in the dark, it echoes in your heart...

I want to scream, I want to give up what I worked so hard for, but then I would have wasted my time and money to then just give it up like it's no big deal.

And when you're far away, it beckons me to stay...

Dad's back, and I let him do this to me, I'm so fucking stupid!.

And when we're in the dark, it echoes in your heart...

I want him to feel half the guilt that I do, I want him to realise how he destroyed the little bit of my childhood I had.

And when you're far away, it beckons me to stay...

There's a voice inside my head, and it's not telling me what I should do about my relationship with Dad, it just tells me what he has done, maybe it's telling me what to do in morse code instead of clear indication.