IV

A lone figure stood before the altar of the Wolf God, a silhouette cast upon the small house as the silvery glow of the moonlight lit up the cavern. He glanced backward furtively and saw his sister and the Pack were still asleep.

He started to chant, feeling his deep connection to nature and the Wolf God start to form. A cold gust blew from his back that made him shiver, and in front of him the warm glow of the flames from the candle warmed him up.

Kilfer paused abruptly in his chants, and flames and wind stopped, the candles stamped out by something he could simply feel, but not see.

A vision, Kilfer felt his mind getting dizzy, and the surroundings morphed around him, getting dimmer and dimmer until it changed entirely.

***

Kilfer was alone, frozen in a sea of glass, the isolation hurting him so much his mind throbbed and he shut his eyes tight. He could not move, not even expel the slightest whisper from his mouth. Then he felt a movement, a slight tremor in the glass that he opened his eyes slowly.

Outside the glass that he was confined within, a girl walked towards him and swiped her palms on the glass, and the glass turned clear. Ferhia. It was Ferhia, but her eyes were closed, motionless, like an empty case, but inside was nothingness. Then, a drop of blood surfaced up from her forehead, hovering in front of him.

Then, the surroundings changed around him. He was moving so quickly through a myriad of colors, his entire body felt weightless until he was flung back into reality...

Kilfer hit the ground hard, his body reeling from the impact. He was back again, and the silence of the night soothed him, but his heart was still palpitating from the vision. Kilfer turned towards Ferhia where she was sleeping, and the pack showed no sign of movement. Sighing deeply, he turned back to the altar and continued his chants...

***

Ferhia woke. Staring up through the hole at the top of the cavern into the pitch darkness of the night sky, the calmness of the unknown embraced her. What was beyond this land? Even higher than she could jump, higher than this mountain, even higher than the clouds that block what lay beyond the sky -- so high that she could see it but yet could not grope it. The little sparkles of light glowing vibrantly in the night sky, reminding her of the days of her own before she turned eleven when she lay on the ground every evening with Kilfer. She remembered the night she turned eleven, she heard a shout outside the Lair, but she was too afraid to check what happened, but she simply knew that something happened, something that she did not know, and she supposed she did not want to know.

She turned around, and could not find where Kilfer was. A shadowy movement drifted past her eyes, and she whipped around to the huge carved statue of the wolf god, and on its right paw on the altar, a figure knelt, chanting phrases in Wolf tongue. He was like a silhouette shrouded in the darkness, his eyes closed and he was shuddering, his face contorted in grief and agony and his fists held tight.

The candle was lit, stumped, then lit multiple times again by an unknown force. "No, no, no..." Kilfer managed a deep strangle before an unseen force pushed him off from the ground onto the stone floor. He stood, shaking, then Ferhia shut her eyes tight and pretended to sleep while Kilfer turned to look at her. But when Kilfer turned back to the chants, unnoticed to him a pair of brown human eyes was staring at him...

If you enjoyed this story, please kindly leave a vote, and constructive criticism is accepted in the comments. Thank you!