VIII

Ferhia had never seen such a dinner before, it was a huge feast, hundreds of tables lined up beside one another, meat and berries of all kinds and those that she had not seen before placed on fine porcelain plates, and glasses of liquid Ferhia did not know what it was. Hundreds of candles lit up the streets and everyone was 'dancing', as Kilfer described while Ferhia jostled uneasily through the crowd, Kilfer following close behind.

"Ferhia," Kilfer grabbed a bunch of grapes from a plate and continued following Ferhia, "Do you like it?"

Ferhia paused, and turned, not knowing what to say. "Unaccustomed, maybe," Ferhia finally groped for a word to say, "But Kilfer, remember that we really have to leave tomorrow by sunrise, it's better to rest early." She turned back to the inn which they would rest for the night, then back to Kilfer.

"Nah its fine," Kilfer popped another grape into his mouth, "Just tonight, a night of pleasure shall suffice."

They continued strolling (maybe jostling through the crowd, which Ferhia did) through the lanes aimlessly, Ferhia's mind deep in thought about her parents. She caused their deaths, and when wanting so dearly to meet them all her life -- the chance was gone.

But here, in this village, she felt that she was back again, back to her own kind, like a wolf pup that finally returned to its own pack. The sense of belonging -- although quite uncomfortable -- seemed greater than anything else. For the first time, she paused and looked around, surveying every human, every building, every glass attached to the wall (Kilfer told her it was called a window), every laughter and every plate of food. For the first time, a smile crept up unknowingly her cheek as she felt the satisfaction rush over her.

"Feelin' better?" Kilfer spoke behind her. Ferhia turned and realized her smile was evident on her face and kept it away immediately from him.

"Don't need to hide that," Kilfer's grin spread wider, "It's natural. I haven't been back with my own kind for so long."

"Hey, two young travelers!" A strangled voice emanated from the corner of a building. They halted their conversation and turned, and there the same old man that had directed them to the inn stood with a young girl barely her age, "Happy here so far?"

"Of course!" Kilfer answered haughtily, "The food is great, eh, Ferhia?" Ferhia did not answer but continued staring at her feet.

"So here is my granddaughter, Alksept," The old man had to clear the tension, "She'll just keep you company for tonight, aye."Alksept stepped forward, yet said nothing.

"Sure thing, more company would be better, I guess," Kilfer grinned, but Ferhia saw in Alksept's eyes something was amiss. As soon as the old man left Alksept gazed up at the duo and spoke a single sentence, "Follow me."

***

"Why are you leading us back to the inn?" Ferhia asked Alksept as they turned back to the street that the inn was. The celebration was still ongoing, people of all ages eating and drinking, some drunk and one half-awake and slumped on a table.

Alksept did not reply but hastened her footsteps even more. Ferhia turned to glance at Kilfer, who simply shrugged and they followed her into the building.

As soon as she shut the door behind them, the noise outside on the streets was muffled, and Alksept turned to them, "Where are you leaving to? Answer me honestly."

None of them spoke, until Kilfer piped up, "The city Eltbough to the North, why do you ask?" Ferhia thought that Kilfer made it up, but Alksept's tone softened, "I thought you were leaving to the marshes, for if you were travelling north, besides Eltbough the Swamps would be your destination. So where d' the two of you come from?"

"Oh," Kilfer raised his eyebrows, "It's really far away from here, the city with glass walls of Erbaulgh we come from." Ferhia glanced at him, but he made no sign to wink at her. How good he is at lying, Ferhia thought, why did I not notice how good he is at lying earlier?"

"Wow," Alksept marvelled, and Ferhia thought that place Kilfer mentioned must be marvellous, "That's such a great place! I wanted to leave for that place too, but grandpa said I am too small to leave for such a distant destination."

"No worries, I'm sure you will get there soon enough. Time flies and soon, who knows, you could leave for Erbaulgh!" Kilfer grinned, turning towards Ferhia for a moment, but she did not realise.

"By the way, what are your names?" Alksept asked, and Kilfer replied, "Kilfer is my name, and Ferhia is her name. By the way, why does this place feel so uncomfortable?" Kilfer glanced up at the opened windows. The air was stale but true enough there seemed to be a sensation quite uncomfortable, like a layer of dust covered over them, it was then that Ferhia realized.

"Yeah," Alksept sighed and slumped onto a couch, "It all happened yesterday, for our proximity to the Swamps, we are all prone to the changes in the dark magic there. And yesterday it all changed. It seemed that they are getting restless, some ancient powers awakening. I don't want to know, but something is happening in there..."

Ferhia turned to Kilfer, and she realized that he was also looking at him, but none said a word.

***

As soon as they returned to their room and Alksept left, Kilfer said, "Your curse, Ferhia. It is happening now. The Swamps is pulling you towards them."

"But... it was not... I did not want..." Ferhia was at a loss for words.

"I understand. But things could not be changed, it's within you the moment you came to this world. It's alright, I don't blame you," Kilfer tried to comfort her, but the wound of words had already been inflicted upon Ferhia. Her eyes were red, and tears were welling up in her eyes. Kilfer decided not to say anything for some time, instead gazing up at the plain white ceiling in silence.

"We will leave at dawn," Kilfer muttered to himself a little too loudly, "The Swamps will be our destination."

If you enjoyed this story, please kindly leave a vote, and constructive criticism is accepted in the comments. Thank you!