Chapter 2

He stood at the clearing surrounded by a circle of Creve Trees when they got there and one by one they arrived, cloistered together to watch their friend.

The mysterious music he'd heard for weeks they could all hear...all except one. Those that could now understood why he'd been restless and the nights adventure didn't seem fruitless anymore.

"Can you see them?" Nick asked David through the mind link and he nodded dropping Sierra to her feet.

Raine shot forward but David hooked a hand through her arm. "Wait"

"Why?" She retorted sharply throwing his hand off and jerked a thumb at Keane. "He's in there all alone"

"He'll be fine" said a voice as a shadow separated from one of the trees and formed into a man holding a flute.

Sierra gasped stating the others thought aloud as she tried to shrink into David's side. "The High Priest!"

"Hush and watch" his white and blue robe floating around his feet, he seemed to glide towards them. He put the flute to his lips again and the music started again.

They obeyed and one after the other turned away to look at Keane. Their friend was silent and rock still.

A bright glow of the melody surrounded him and he stood like one waiting to catch a butterfly.

The melody swelled, the notes flew tiny and bright as fireflies in the air around them.

Jaws open in wonder, they watched as the melody rose and fell till Keane suddenly fell to the floor like a sack of stones.

It snapped them out of the semi-trance, shouting they ran into the sacred circle to gather around him.