13. I'm Primrose Everdeen, Everybody

I just want to warn anyone reading this chapter that there is a bit of sensitive subject matter here that may be triggering to some. Please be cautious, alright? I love you all.

////////

The whispers didn’t stop with the end of first hour. Luke had caused a commotion by sitting next to me in math. He’d caused an even larger one when he completely ignored his friends once the bell rang in order to chase me out of the classroom, calling for me to wait. I had no doubt he’d be causing even more throughout the rest of the day.

“What, Luke?” I snapped, turning around as he called my name out for the third time. His smile faltered ever so slightly, and I felt a frown tug at the corners of my lips. Despite my earlier resolve to not give him any sympathy, I found myself feeling bad for being such a bitch. I sighed. “What?” I asked again, this time in a gentler tone.

“I was just wondering if you wanted to walk to choir with me.” He asked as Calum and Megan came up behind him. I watched as Calum’s gaze traveled over my face, lingering on the spot where my bruise was so meticulously covered up with makeup. He gave me a half-smile, but I didn’t give him one in return. Megan, however, was eyeing me warily, as if she was trying to figure out what had happened between Luke and I that could possibly lead to me staying in his house and him trying desperately to be nice to me. I noticed that the four of us were getting looks from various groups of people around the hallway.

“Sure, why not?” I finally said, letting my gaze return to Luke once more. His face registered surprise at first, as if he hadn’t expected me to agree, then he grinned.

“Awesome! Let’s go, then.” He practically exclaimed, slinging his arm around my shoulders as we began walking. I tensed up immediately, reaching up and removing his arm.

“We’re still not friends, Luke.” I grumbled. He didn’t respond.

————

“And now, the part of class I’m sure you have all been waiting anxiously for.” Mr. Page announced happily, producing a large black hat from his office. “Alright, the first six names pulled perform tomorrow, and the next six on Friday. Remember you can volunteer to take someone’s place if they’ll let you.” He said. I saw a hand lift in to the air on the other side of the room. “Yes, Kelsey?”

“Are we doing that thing where you can bring in a friend to perform with as well?” She asked. Mr. Page nodded.

“Yes. Alright! The first name is,” He paused as he reached into the hat. A few seconds later, he pulled out a small white strip of paper. “Taryn MacDonald!” The class let out a collective sigh, and I figured Taryn was probably one of the ones who would have volunteered to go anyways. I mean, sheis friends with Luke, after all.

When the last name was called for the Thursday performers, I saw a hand lift into the air out of the corner of my eye.

“Can I volunteer in her place, Mr. Page?” I knew the voice before I even turned to look at him. Luke. Mr. Page glanced at the girl whose name had been called. She nodded vigorously, and I let a small smile tug at my lips. She looked so relieved to not have to perform. Mr. Page wrote Luke’s name down on the whiteboard and proceeded to announce names for Friday.

“And lastly, we have Daeyna Larksen.” My head snapped up as soon as my name was called. Really? My name was probably in that hat like a total of two times (I’d been caught with gum last week). I sighed in annoyance when, after a momentary pause in which not a single person spoke, Mr. Page turned around and wrote my name on the board at the bottom of the list. Not a second later, the bell rang. The class was instantly abuzz with discussions about the coming two days. Questions about what would be played, sung, and whose performance would be the best dominated the majority of the conversations. I grumbled quietly to myself as I shoved my folder into my backpack.