21. Three Weeks In And I Miss You

“Is that a kitchen counter I see in the background? Why, Daeyna Larksen, I never thought you’d ever leave your room.” I scoffed at Luke’s mocking tone, sending him a glare through the camera on my laptop.

“I was hungry. Don’t mock me.” I grumbled. Luke’s eyes flickered down momentarily, then returned to the center of the screen, where my face was being displayed by the Skype app.

“Isn’t it, like, eleven at night there? What happened to your plan to not eat after nine? I thought you were still doing that.” I simply shrugged, popping another potato chip into my mouth.

“I dunno. ‘M stressed, I guess?” I said. It was true. While Luke and the rest of the band were off gallivanting around London, meeting new people, writing music, and recording things, I was stuck in Australia worrying about my upcoming exams. It was already almost the end of Term Three, so the teachers were cramming in as much material as they could.

The boys had been gone almost three weeks. In two days, it would be exactly three weeks. I’d been counting. Luke had been counting as well. The first thing he said when I accepted his Skype call was ‘seven weeks left’. We’d been telling each other how much time was left every week, as if the other didn’t already know.

“You’re going to do great on your exams, babe.” Luke assured me with a smile. I nodded, running a hand through my hair.

“I hope so. I wish I could drop out like Cal and Mike. Or even just homeschool kind of like what you’re doing.” I admitted. Luke let out a puff of air.

“Don’t drop out. You want to be a veterinarian, right?” He asked. I nodded. “Well, vets don’t drop out of school.” I let out a chuckle, shaking my head.

“Yeah I know.” I sighed. We lapsed into a comfortable silence. After about a minute, I broke the silence. “I miss you.” Luke frowned.

“I miss you, too.”

--------

@DaeLight5SOS: @Luke5SOS @Calum5SOS Oh God I really hope youre okay! Keek.com/5secondsofsummer/ …

I watched the Keek the boys had just posted once more, this time prepared for the epic fall that Luke and Calum took. They apparently thought it would be fun to have piggy-back races. Except Luke and Cal seemed to forget that Luke is one of the most clumsy people ever. Which is probably why they ended up on the floor only seconds after the start of the race. My phone lit up with a notification only moments later.

@Luke5SOS: @DaeLight5SOS knee hurts a bit. Wish you were here to make it better.

@Calum5SOS: @Luke5SOS @DaeLight5SOS not like I hit my face on the floor or anything… >:(

I giggled lightly, shaking my head. Before I could reply, the doorbell rang. I hopped off the couch and crossed the house to the front door.

“Oh, hey Megan, Taryn.” I greeted when I saw the two girls standing on the porch. I stepped aside, gesturing for them to come in. I turned to face them as I closed the door. “So, what’s up?” Megan smiled at me, glancing at Taryn before returning her gaze to me.

“First of all, I’m going to need you to change into something casual. Then pack a bag for about two nights’ worth of time.” I gave her a confused look, but she merely pushed me towards the stairs to the basement. “Come on, sloth-girl! Get a move on!” She exclaimed.

Twenty minutes later, the three of us were in Taryn’s red Toyota, driving down the highway with all four windows open and music blasting. I hadn’t exactly received a straight answer from either girl as to where we were headed or why. All I knew was that we’d be there for the weekend and we’d be back in time for school on Monday.

“Would you rather have pizza or fast food?” Megan shouted, turning to look back at me. I went for the former. Pizza is always a good choice. She nodded, a grin on her face. “Pizza it is!”

And that’s how we ended up at a little pizza parlor called Paul’s Pizza. When we were half-way through the medium pepperoni pizza we ordered, I finally got the girls to tell me where we were going. Apparently, Megan’s parents have a small beach cabin that, ‘the group’ as she called it, liked to visit from time to time. She added that they decided now was a good time to take me, since I was really stressed over both the upcoming finals and Luke’s absence. Taryn described it as a girls only weekend where we would talk about girly things and relax. I was perfectly okay with that. Getting my mind off of everything going on in my life would be lovely.

--------

“How much ice cream have you had, Daeyna?” Megan asked, her words coming out slightly slurred. I shrugged, not entirely sure myself. It was nearing midnight, and it was fairly safe to say that the three of us were in varying stages of drunkenness. Taryn was by far the most hammered, with me coming in second and Megan trailing behind for a close third. I spooned more ice cream into my mouth before slamming the cup down on the counter and standing up. I let out a giggle as I stumbled slightly to the side at the sudden movement.

“I wanna dance. Dance with me?” I directed my question at Megan, who nodded vigorously and pushed away from the counter.

“I’ll get the music. Get Taryn from the patio.” She ordered. I nodded and made my way out onto the patio, where Taryn was leaning up against the door, a drink in her hand.

“We’re gonna dance! Come on!” I demanded, grabbing her by the wrist and dragging her into the cabin. She hollered out a line of excited words, but I didn’t really catch on to what she was saying.

The music and dancing didn’t last long. Only two songs in, the three of us turned off the music and plopped down on the floor for some heart-to-heart conversations. There wasn’t even a conversation leading up to the heart-to-heart. Taryn just jumped right in.

“I think I might be a lesbian.” She admitted, drunkenly flopping onto her back. I looked at Megan in surprise before turning back to face Taryn.

“How come you think that?” I asked, struggling to make myself sound as sober as possible (and failing). Taryn lifted her head to look up at me.

“You know Samantha Elbert in choir? Yeah. She’s hot. I’d totally kiss her.” She sighed.

---------

“Had sex?” Megan questioned me as Taryn let out a peal of laughter.

“No! Oh, God, no!” I protested a little too loudly, letting out a giggle as I looked at Megan, who was smirking at me from her position on the couch.

“Kay. ‘M jus’ askin’.” She slurred, waving a hand in the air dismissively. “Y’ never know with kids these days.” She added. We had been at this game of twenty questions (or, more like fifty questions) for a fairly long time. I wasn’t even sure what time it was anymore. As if merely talking about Luke summoned him, my phone lit up with a call. I didn’t even have a chance to reach for it before Megan picked it up.

“Lukey!” She yelled into the phone. She pressed something on the screen, and suddenly we all could hear him.

“Megan? Why do you have Daeyna’s phone?” He asked. Megan merely giggled in response, eliciting giggles from Taryn and myself as well.

“Lukey! What is up? Why haven’t you done the dirty with little Dae here yet?” Taryn piped up before bursting into a fit of laughter. My eyes widened, and I launched myself from the floor, stumbling over to the couch.

“No, Taryn!” I protested, pressing my palm against her mouth to keep her from saying anything else. I heard Luke groan from the other end of the phone line.

“You’re all at the cabin, aren’t you?” He asked. Megan grinned at the phone.

“Absolutely!” She chirped. Taryn cheered, the sounds muffled due to the fact that my hand was still covering her mouth. She realized this, and licked my hand. I recoiled immediately, yelling out in disgust.

“Ew, Taryn! It’s all wet now!” I complained. She laughed.

“That’s what she said!” Both Taryn and Megan shouted at the same time, and the three of us erupted into another chorus of laughter.

“Daeyna? Is that you?” I remembered that Luke was on the phone and turned to remove the device from Megan’s grasp. The first thing I did was take him off speaker, holding the phone up to my ear and attempting to move away from my obnoxious friends (who were still very drunk, though to be fair, I wasn’t completely sober either).

“Yep!” I quipped, tripping over a shoe on the floor and ramming my shoulder into the wall.

“Yeah, you walk away and have some dirty talk with Lukey, alright?” Megan laughed at her own shouted sentence and turned around to face Taryn again. I didn’t stick around to see what they were talking about, instead making my way down the hallway and into the room I had claimed as mine for the weekend.

“Dae? You still there?” Luke asked. I nodded, then giggled at myself for forgetting that he couldn’t see me.

“Yeah. I just nodded, but I forgot you couldn’t see me so I’m telling you now that I’m still here.” I explained, letting myself fall onto my bed. Luke chuckled.

“How drunk are you, Dae?” He asked. I shrugged (and cue another giggle).

“I just did it again! I don’t like that you’re not here and can’t see me when I reply to you. Why are you gone?” I asked, frowning. “What was the question again? I forgot.” Luke was silent for a moment, and I thought he hung up. But just as I was about to say something, he spoke again.

“It’s alright that you forgot. I asked how drunk you were. Let’s make it on a scale of one to ten.” He said. I pondered his words for a moment.

“Well, if one means sober and ten means really, really, really drunk, then I think I’m at like a seven. Or does one mean really, really, really drunk and ten mean sober? Because then, I’d be…” I stopped for a moment, going over the math in my head. “A four, I think? Did I do that right? I’m not very good at math problems. I’m rambling. Are you still there? You probably hung up.” I said.

“I’m still here, babe.” Luke said, chuckling again. I let out a loud sigh of relief.

“Good. Because I have a headache and my tummy hurts and I think I’m sleepy but I’m not sure.” I complained, my voice taking on a slightly more whiny tone.

“Well, the headache and sleepiness are probably the alcohol. I’m not sure about the stomach ache. Did you eat anything?” Luke asked. Had I been sober, I might have been impressed by his patience. Between the slurred version of English I was using, the long pauses as I tried to put together coherent sentences, and just the conversation in general, anyone would be absolutely rightful in getting annoyed. But Luke persisted, his voice coming out sounding slightly amused as he talked to me.

“I had some ice cream. Megan wouldn’t help me eat it so I had to do it myself. I think I left the empty tub on the counter. I hope she doesn’t get mad at me for that. My mom hates when I leave things out. Maybe Megan is the same way.” Luke whistled.

“You ate an entire tub of ice cream? By yourself? Dae, I think that’s why your stomach hurts. You should probably get some rest. Tomorrow isn’t going to be a fun day for you at all, babe.” He instructed. I pulled the bedding around me, struggling to get myself beneath the sheets. I did it eventually, though.

“Why is tomorrow going to be bad? Is it because you’re not here? I bet that’s why, isn’t it? I think I’ll be okay, Luke.” I rambled, trying to assure him that I was okay with his absence. “I mean, I’m sad that I can’t see you but you’ll come back. As long as you don’t get another girlfriend. That’s cheating. And that would make me sad.” Luke let out a sigh.

“I’m not going to get another girlfriend, Dae. I promise.” He assured me (to which I replied with a slurred ‘good’ that came out sounding more like ‘guh’). “And I’ll be back before you know it. Only six weeks left now.” He added. I nodded, letting out a yawn as I snuggled into the pillow.

“Six weeks.” I mumbled, feeling my eyelids start to droop. “Too long.”

“I know, babe. Get some sleep. I’ll call you tomorrow.” He said gently. I nodded before letting out a sleepy chuckle.

“I did it again. I nodded and you can’t see me.” I barely got the sentence out before I fell asleep.

////////

Alrighty! Go me for getting stuff up on time! =)) Anyways, I really hope you liked the chapter! I have a few things to say as well (for those of you who actually read my subnotes)

1. I actually made a twitter for Daeyna. @DaeLight5SOS would be the one if you want to follow it. Not sure how often it’ll be used, but I do tweet little things like her thoughts and such.

2. I’m thinking that this particular book will only go for another six or seven chapters, and I would like to know if you all would be interested in a sequel? I know it’s a bit early to ask, as you don’t know what happens at the end like I do, but I’m just asking for now. I’ll probably ask again near the end as well.