24. It's Official Now

“Two weeks! Sorry this isn’t a band update guys.” Luke’s smiling face said to the camera on what was presumably his phone. The video cut to a shot of Calum’s face. He was pouting, and Luke could be heard very faintly in the background yelling.

“Luke spends too much time thinking about his girlfriend.” He deadpanned. Then his frown morphed into a smile. “Two weeks until he sees her, though. Maybe then he’ll shut up about—“ The video cut off before he could finish the sentence. I giggled as I looked through the comments below the Instagram video.

Girls were freaking out about two things. One was the fact that Luke and I were dating. I had never really thought about it before, but we hadn’t necessarily posted about our relationship online. Nor had the boys been asked about girlfriends in interviews. So it was news to fans. The other thing they were freaking out about was what Calum was about to say. Some said he was probably just going to say ‘her’ while others had theories that he was going to mention something dirty. Knowing Calum, it was probably the latter.

“Wait, listen to this one: O-M-G what if Cal was gonna say Luke talks about how much he hates his G-F!!!! Obviously I’m the one for him.” Kendra giggled as she read a comment for me. I let out a laugh as well.

“I’ve got some competition, huh?” I quipped. I saw her roll her eyes in the screen.

“If this girl is competition for you, then he needs to get his priorities straight.” She assured me. I smiled at her.

“I knew there was a reason I picked you to be my best friend.” I said, scrolling through more comments. “This bitch needs to back off my Lukey. He belongs with me.” I read, raising an eyebrow. “Rude.” Kendra laughed.

“Wow, you take the hate well.” She commented. I felt my cheeks heat up in a blush, and I broke eye contact with the screen.

“Yeah, well, I’ve had a bit of practice.” I mumbled quietly. Kendra’s eyes widened when she realized her error.

“Oh, God. I totally forgot. Dae-bird, I’m so sorry. It’s just you two seem to have put it behind you, and it’s really hard to see him as that asshole now.” I smiled at her.

“It’s fine, really. It’s hard for me to see him like that, too. But he can’t get over it. He beats himself up over the entire thing every day. Not only how he treated me, but what happened two years ago as well.” I assured her. She nodded sympathetically. Before she could say anything else, a loud thump sounded throughout the house. I winced slightly. “I’ve gotta go make sure my door is locked. Love ya darling!” I said. Kendra nodded and said goodbye as well, and I closed my laptop.

After checking that my bedroom door was locked, I turned on the ceiling fan (it was usually loud enough to drown out the sounds of the television upstairs) and crawled into bed.

--------

Today was the day. It had been two weeks since Luke pretty much announced to the world that we were dating (even though it hadn’t exactly been a secret in the first place), and now he and the rest of the boys were coming home. The nice thing about not having too many pictures up online of me and Luke was that I was able to stand among the crowd of about thirty girls in the airport and not be bothered by any of them. Only one girl recognized me, but either she was too shy to come and say hi or she wasn’t one hundred percent sure, so she stayed away.

I had only needed to emergency call Luke once when I got home and realized my dad was there and I’d locked my bedroom window. That was almost eleven days ago. He’d given the phone to Calum, who had talked me through the process of breaking into my own room. I should have known he would know how to pick locks.