Chapter 2: Religious

Saddest of all. We may have picked up this same kind of messages from our religious leaders that God holds us to strict standards of right and wrong, that he knows every nasty thing we do, even our secret thoughts, and that every sin we commit separates us from Gods love.

          Yet why would God set us up for failure, establishing a a standard that not one of us could possibly meet? He knows us all too well to demand perfections of us.

          The best summation of my religious outlook is one I saw on a bumper sticker: " God loves you any way". God may be dis appointed in who we are: fillable people struggling with the implications of knowing good and evils. He knows the differences between the deed that is wrong and the person who is not a lost soul for having done wrong.

          We should always struggle to be as good as we can. But being never mean being perfect. We face situation so complex that no one could possibly get them. Psychiatrist David Burns writes of a prominent attorney who dreaded making mistakes or losing a case for fear his colleagues would no longer respect him. When he shared this fear with them, he discovered to his surprise that his colleagues liked him better when he made mistakes because they saw him as more human.