Chapter 4: Trust, Tragedy and Losing Love ones

When we do something wrong, we created a situations in which the good part of our self is at war with our weakness, selfish side. We lose the sense of wholeness  that enables us to do things that matter to us.

          The hardest and most personal sermon I never gave in 30 years as a parent was in yom kippur, one year after our son, Aaron, had died at the age of 15 because of malaria. This tragedy is the one that I Never forget the rest of my life. That time I might be the one to bring down, or to make my split, imperfect selves at one. I knew my sermon would have to be a major statement about what losing Aaron had meant to me and to my faith, and how I could go on believing in a world where young children died.

          I took my text from a little book called the missing piece by shel selverstien, which I can described only as a fairly tale for adults. It tells the story of circle that was missing piece. A large triangular wedge had been cut out of it. The circle wanted to be whole with nothing missing so it went around looking for its missing piece. But because it was incomplete and therefore could roll only very slowly, it admire the flowers along the way. It chatted with worms. It enjoyed the sunshine. It founds lots of different pieces, but none of them fit. So it left them all by the side of the road and kept on Searching.