Chapter 3: My integrity more than of my perfections

In the same way, I can remember times I had to tell my children I was wrong about something and how fearful I was they'd lose respect for me. But I was astonished to find that they loved me all the more for being willing to admit my mistkaes. They needed to be assured of my integrity more than of my perfections.

Sometimes, though, people cannot handle our mistakes. Perhaps our parents need us to be flawless, or our mates harp on our failure because they want us to improved. Perhaps our friends are unforgiving because our failure touched them at a vulnerable time.

These responses can make us feel guilty. But before taking on that guilt, we need to ask ourselves whether it's truly warranted.

Some years ago two elderly women in my congregation died the same week in January. One afternoon I visited both families. At the first home, the oldest son said to me, "it's my fault that momcy died. I should have insisted on her going to floria, gotten her out of this miserable cold weather. If I had done that she would still be alive today."

I tried to console him, and then made my way to the third family's home, where the oldest son told me. " I feel its my fault that mother died." If I only I hadn't insisted on her going to Floria. The long plane ride and the abrupt change of climate were too much for her".

If it turns out that our guilt is appropriate, we should be careful that the emotions attaches to the deed, not to ourselves. The husband who betrays his marriage vows and the wife who abuses the family credit card should feel guilty. Guilt is useful as a motivator to change. But it is useless and destructive when it paralyzes the persons with sense of unworthiness and unlovability.