16 - Lie To Me

She was drowning this time. I watched as the waves overlapped, they crashed and burned and swallowed her right in. And I stood at the edge watching and I couldn't move. It was some strange and inexplicable inner manner of knowledge that told me I couldn't save her. I tried, I tried so fucking hard, I thrashed in the water in agony, absent minded thoughts streaming in and out of my mind. The waves relentless threw her around like a rag doll, and it was agony to watch her, helpless. Why couldn't I do anything?

The closer I thought I was to her, the farther she actually was. And she was screaming, a grisly, heart wrecking cry for help and I could not give it to her. The moon hung overhead blameless. I tripped over something in the water and went right in, splashing into the icy cold waters. I got on my hands and knees and tried to crawl toward her but my limbs get slipping, and I wasn't making any progress.

And then suddenly she just stopped calling, and went under. The world become eerily quiet. But that wasn't all, as I shouted hoarsely for her, I realised in horror that the water was turning into blood, I could smell the gore and the festering of the plasma, thrashing all around and the smell- I was going to be sick. It was her blood, wasn't it? I stumbled backwards as I fell into the sea of blood, face first, and then the next moment my lungs were clogged, and blood kept entering my body through my nose and mouth. I kicked out in horror and terror, unable to scream for help. The waves were dragging me down, they took my mother, and now they were coming for me. Like the carnage of thousands of animals, the fluid filling me, ensnaring me. The last thing I felt was the pressure and intense pain in my lungs as they collapsed.

"Frank? Frank!"

I jerked right up, gasping as I fisted the sheets. I was soaked through thoroughly as my heart shook my entire body, pulsing erratically. My neck was sore and each time I tried to breathe was like a stab to my lungs. The room was dark and cold, and despite that, I was sweating heavily, my hair plastered to my face. I gasped as a shiver racked my entire body, convulsing heavily and completely out of control.

"Frank! It's okay, it's okay!" The voice was louder now, and I snapped my neck in the direction of it. It was Gerard. For a split second I was relieved to see him, but then last night- oh lord- last night came back in waves. The flashback to the last thing I heard, about Gerard and the man, my- my kidnapper, Julius and how he knew him, heck, he even knew his name. I didn't even have to guess that Gerard was on their side. He tricked me. I was in disbelief, and I didn't want to accept it.

"No! Don't come near me!" I shouted, voice like sandpaper, and high pitched, even though I had tried to conceal the fear in my voice. I scrambled to the other end of the bed.

"Why?" he said.

"I know all about you, " I said, even though I didn't. All I knew was the inference from the information I had gathered last night.

He look genuinely confused for a split second, and I could feel my resolve crumbling. Maybe, maybe he was telling the truth. No, I had to keep up my guard. But at the same time, he really looked genuinely confused.

"Is this about last night?" he finally said.

I nodded warily.

"You heard it." he stated flatly. He didn't deny it, and my heart sank heavily, like an anchor in water, all the way to the bottom of the ocean. He wasn't denying it. He wasn't.

"Yeah," my voice came out bitterly. "I should have known. No one ever befriends me just for me." I mumbled. I wasn't even shocked. I knew everyone had an ulterior motive. But when Gerard came along, all nice and rescuing me and shit, even though he was a prick at times, I really thought he was different. But it turns out he was all like the fucking rest. And- fuck, it hurt, even though I'd probably spent less than 24 waking hours with this man. I didn't want to listen to him anymore, I just wanted to get away. I knew however, that they wouldn't be the case. Damn Julius would probably be prancing with glee right now. I'd played right into their trap.