away

The morning light streams in through the open blinds, illuminating the hotel room in a pale glow. I roll over to face my sister, who's fast asleep, a peaceful smile lingering on her lips. While trying not to wake her, I put on a pot of coffee and run through the shower. I've always been an early riser and it's not surprising that I'm awake two hours before I need to be.

        Today is the day my lovely, bubbly older sister has been planning for and dreaming about since she was five. I'm so excited I get to be apart of this beautiful day and watch as she marries the man of her dreams. Abbie has been with Nolan since grade ten and it's impossible to imagine them ever being apart.

        I run the towel across my hair once more as I pad into the kitchen to pour myself a cup of coffee. As I sip the searing hot drink, I check my phone. I have six text messages, but none from the one person I want them to be from. Instead of dwelling on that fact, I respond to my messages and check social media. Twitter is buzzing with wedding excitement, everyone posting pictures of the gorgeous hotel where the venue is.

        As I refresh my feed, I see a tweet from my sister: It's here!!!!!! xx

        "Abigail," I sing-song, skipping across the hotel room and flopping down on the bed next to her, "You're getting married today!"

        Abbie playfully pinches her cheeks to make sure this is real, "I can't believe it."

        "We have some extra time before we need to proper get up. Do you want to get some breakfast?"

        As if on cue, my sister's stomach growls, "Yes, food would be wonderful right now."

        After a fulfilling meal of pancakes and bacon, we head to one of the other bridesmaids' rooms to get ready. My sister hovers over us all as we get our hair and makeup done, making sure every little detail goes as planned. That's one thing my sister and I are very different on; she's very anal, while I'm more relaxed and 'go with the flow'.

        It isn't until my hair and makeup are done that I have another chance to check my phone. To my complete disappointment, I have no texts. With a frustrated sigh, I break down and text Harry. He told me yesterday that he'd do everything in his power to be here, but he's yet to get back to me with an actual answer. He's supposed to be walking down the aisle with me, but I really doubt that's going to happen.

        iMessage to Wankmaster H: We walk in 45 minutes.. Please be here .x

        I throw my phone back in my clutch and head into the closet to retrieve my bridesmaid dress. It's a lovely chiffon gown that's a romantic baby pink color and falls all the way to the floor. It's simple yet elegant and will compliment my sister, rather than take away from her. I slip into the dress and have Gwen, another bridesmaid, zip me up.

        Once I've given myself a once over in the mirror, I join the ladies in the living area to put on our head pieces. They're a flower crown of sorts, made with green leaves and vines, and mine has pretty pink flowers to go with my dress since I'm the maid of honor. This wedding is the epitome of romance. My heart sinks at the thought of not spending this night with my love.

        I take a seat on the couch as we wait for my sister to emerge in her gown. When she does, all the air is sucked from the room. She is stunning. The vintage form-fitting lace gown accentuates Abbie's curvy physique. Her hair is pinned up at the base of her neck, her fringe swooping across her forehead. I've never seen her eyes so bright, her eye makeup bringing out the intense hazel color.

        "Abbie," I whisper, tears stinging the back of my eyes, "You look stunning."

        She makes her way to me and hugs me tight, and I can feel every moment we've ever shared in our twenty years together. "Did I tell you how much I like the blue?" she says, playing with my hair which is left down in loose curls - it's so long now, it's nearly to my belly button. I give her an appreciative nod before retrieving my phone so we can snap some pictures together.