home

"Are you going to let me in or not?" Pierce grumbles, snatching the keycard from my hand and shoving it into the slot. The lock makes a low buzzing noise and blinks twice, indicating that the door is unlocked.

        He pushes the door open- or rather, he falls into it, causing it to bang open and enters the room, slamming directly into Harry's chest. My mouth is still hanging wide open, and I stare at the pair like a moron. Harry's face goes from surprise to angry in .3 seconds, his nostrils flaring and eyes narrowing all before I can even let out the breahte I'm holding in.

        Pierce takes a small step back and gives Harry a once-over, "You must be the boyfriend."

        My body is paralyzed, and I can do nothing but stand and watch, like a spectator at a sporting event. While I'm frozen from the shock of it all, Harry crosses his arms across his chest and adjusts his gaze from me to Pierce, "Yeah, and I must be mistaken because surely you wouldn't come up with a girl to her hotel room, knowing good and well that she's taken. Then again, I don't know you." His eyes jump from Pierce to me, and I can't breathe.

        Pierce holds his hands up defensively, "Whoa, no, you've got the wrong impression here. Ann-"

        "Oh, I do? Please do enlighten me on what's going on." Harry's voice is growing louder and raspier by the second, and if it were possible, I think there'd be steam coming out of his ears.

        "Enough," I plead, my voice a whisper.

        Finally, my body is free from its' restraints, and I shove my way into the room, closing the door and dragging Pierce by the elbow toward the bedroom. Harry's eyes bore into the side of my head and I turn away. Tears prick at the edges of my eyes as I think of the ensuing blow-up that is coming my way. I keep moving until I'm standing next to the bed, and without warning or indication, I shove Pierce down onto it and roll him onto his side.

        I sit on the bed next to him and help him remove his shoes and tie, tossing everything in a pile on the floor. I'm covering him up with the comforter when he captures my wrist, "Annie Banannie..."

        My lips turn up slightly inspite of everything, "What Pierce?"

        "Don't let him give you shit, okay? He's the one who wasn't here, that's on him." His speech is slurred but his eyes are sincere, and I pat his cheek fondly.

        "Wise words from Drunken Pierce," I respond with a sigh, picturing all the ways the conversation with Harry could go wrong.

        "The one and only."

        I quickly kiss Pierce on the cheek and rise to my feet once more, taking my sweet time exiting the room. "Goodnight," I call over my shoulder as I flick off the light and close the door to the bedroom. Since my departure, Harry's moved from the entryway to the kitchen, where he's standing near the sink, back to me.

        If he's going to jump to conclusions and act like a neanderthal, I'm not going to indulge him. Instead of running to him and begging for forgiveness, I pretend like he's not here. I go to the closet and gather my pajamas and toiletry bag before moving to the bathroom and shutting the door. On the other side of the door, I hear a heavy sigh followed by footsteps coming this way. I set down my things and lock the door, not prepared for the shitstorm that is brewing.

        Harry knocks twice lightly, "Annie..."

        I ignore him at first, slipping out of the bridesmaids' dress and into some comfortable clothes. He's a persistent bastard though, knocking every ten seconds and grumbling profanities under his breath. I'm brushing through my hair when he bangs his fist hard against the wood, startling me. "Damnit, Annie!"