Chapter one | First Encounter |

"Thanks, Tina."

"You better be there. You're one of the top guests on my list!" Harper rolled her eyes with a chuckle, causing Tina to lightly shover Harper's shoulder.

"I'll be there this time. I don't have anything better to do." Tina gave Harper a small laugh, and shook her head before walking off to hand out more of her flyers. As soon as the brunette was out of sight, Harper dropped her facade, letting the gleaming smile on her rosy cheeks morph into an expression of boredom.

Tina had given Harper an orange piece of paper, on it was printed 'Tina's Halloween Bash, come get sheet faced'. She hadn't gone to any of Tina's parties, although she'd been invited to more than a handful.

Harper shoved the paper into her backpack, not caring if it was scrunched up or not. She continued to walk down the hall whilst zipping up her plain brown bag when her eyes landed on a familiar face. Nancy, who was just across the hall from where she was. Nancy stood there in the arms of her boyfriend, Steve, who was also a close friend of Harper's. Harper cleared her throat when she stopped in front of the kissing pair, used to the sight of them so intimate. Nancy jumped, quickly separating from Steve and turning to look at her friend awkwardly. Steve wasn't bothered, he never was, instead, he grinned at Harper.

"You guys get an invite?" She asked. Steve nodded, showing her the paper.

"We've already got our costumes, Tina's been planning this for over a month." Harper nodded, knowing Tina had been looking forward to Halloween, "What about you? Decide on a costume yet?" She shook her head and gave a shrug of her shoulders,

"I didn't plan anything, I might just come in whatever." Steve rose his brow at her and shook his head.

"No, absolutely not. You've gotta dress up!" Steve exclaimed, standing up from his leaning position against the locker. The brunette rolled her eyes, and let out a chuckle,

"I'll see what I can do." She replied. Steve was happy enough with her response and nodded approvingly. Harper decided now would be best to leave for class, so she looked over to Nancy, who hadn't said a word since she'd been there. Instead, Harper found the girl staring off down the hallway.

"Nancy! Come on, we have English." Nancy quickly snapped out of her gaze and turned to Harper with a small smile.

"Sorry. Let's go."

|||||||||

School was finally finished for the day. Throughout all her classes everyone was talking about the new guy. During their lunch break two of the girls she spent a painful amount of time with, Vicki, an auburn-haired girl and Nicole, who had mousey blonde hair, spent most of it moaning about this new guy. Billy Hargrove. It got to the point where Harper made up an excuse to leave the pair. Class went on as normal and she was glad when it was finally over.

Harper was waiting at her car for her younger brother Dustin. Dustin always rode to school, and today was no different. The only reason she had been waiting for him was because she'd promised to give him some money for him to go to the arcade with his friends. As she leaned against her second-hand rust bucket, her eyes flickered to the unfamiliar blue Chevrolet Camaro parked next to her own. She stepped around her own car to take a closer look. As she was inspecting it, she didn't notice the figure walk up behind her.

Harper took a step back after humming to herself in approval. It was a damn nice car. Once she was done with her quick inspection, she turned to walk around her own car again, only her path was blocked. Not only was it blocked, but she had managed to roughly walk into him while turning.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry, I didn't see you." Harper looked up and was surprised to see the new face. She took a step back and watched as an almost flirty smirk crossed the blonde stranger's features.

"No need to apologise, I don't pay attention when I'm checking them out." Harper paused for a moment with a small frown. She wasn't entirely sure if he was talking about the car or her. When she didn't reply, and an unsettling silence began to engulf them, the blonde held his hand out to her, "Billy, I just started today." Harper looked down at his hand, but didn't hesitate to take a hold of it,

"Harper, been here since the beginning." She replied with a firm shake. The pair dropped their hands and stood there for a moment. She had to agree with every comment those two dimwits had told her at lunch. He was gorgeous. Toned, tall, tanned. Blue eyes, blonde hair. Harper had also noticed his perfect white teeth earlier when he smirked. She'd only quickly examined him, but she didn't want him to know so she quickly spoke up, "Are you waiting for someone?" She asked, not sure if she was blocking his path. Billy nodded and pulled out a cigarette and lighter.

"My stepsister, you?" He asked, lighting the smoke between his lips. He took a drag of it, inhaling the toxins and putting the rest of the pack back is his jacket pocket.

"My brother." She replied with a nod. With that, Harper stood there and watched as Billy smoked his cigarette. He looked down at her, taking in every detail he could. She wasn't much shorter than him, maybe a half a head or so. Her choice of style was not very similar to the other girls in this school. Her hair was a sun-kissed wavy brown that almost gleamed and she wore a brown leather jacket over a loose off-white t-shirt that was tucked into her high waisted blue denim jeans. Her eyes were the same colour as honey, and instantly he noticed the glow in them.

Harper was aware of the fact that Billy was checking her out. Under his eyes, she began to squirm. You'd think after a year of this she'd be used to people staring at her, but alas, she couldn't bare it. When Billy noticed her discomfort, he smirked at her and began walking closer. When he was no less than a few inches away from her, he opened the door to his car and took a seat.

Harper watched as a young girl with long finer hair skated around and opened the other door. When she was in the car, Billy brought the beast to life, and began backing out with his music blasting. He took one last glance at Harper before zooming off.

"I didn't know Mad Max had a brother." Harper jumped at the sound of Dustin's voice,

"Stepbrother." She corrected, turning to face him. Harper crossed her arms over her chest and noticed Lucas standing next to him.

"What the hell took you so long. I spent like five minutes staring at that guy waiting for you!" She exclaimed, walking around the back of her car to the driver's side.

"Why were you staring at him for five minutes?" Dustin asked, following behind his elder sister,

"Well, I couldn't drive off and he basically was in the way of escape." She replied, fetching the large sealed plastic container she had stashed in the back. She opened it and took a hand full of coins and gave it to her brother. "You owe me." She told him, watching as he nodded and grinned at Lucas.

"I'll see you at home." Dustin and Lucas turned around and began walking off, both giving her a wave,

"Be home by seven!"

{a/n So I have decided to edit this story before the new season comes out!! I've read over it and cringed at all the mistakes but honestly, I don't know what I expect since I wrote it on my phone. Anyway, here's the update!}