Chapter three |Absolutely Nothing |

The next morning when Harper woke, she couldn't remember much of what happened last night. One thing that stuck in her mind was how she was stranded at party and she'd agreed to let Billy bring her home. She was furious that Steve left her there.

When she got out of bed, she walked out of her bedroom and into the bathroom to have a shower. Surprisingly, she had no hangover and was up earlier than usual. Once she'd had her short shower and applied a small amount of makeup, she went back into her room to change.

She slid into a washed out pair of jeans with an oversized dark grey t-shirt. She tucked the shirt in and threw on her old black converse, which were closer to being the same colour as her shirt than the black they used to be.

She grabbed her bag and the necessary books for her classes. As she walked into the kitchen, she could hear her mother humming and mews, their cat, purring. Her mother was by the stove cooking bacon and scrambled eggs. Harper smiled to herself and sat down,

"Good morning." She said, causing her mother to turn to her with a large smile,

"Oh! Harper, I didn't expect you to be awake yet! How was the party?" She asked, turning back the pan,

"It was great! Sorry I didn't get home until late, I lost track of time." She said, hoping her mother hadn't seen her absolutely smashed.

"Oh don't stress, darling, I heard you come home, but I was already in bed." Harper just nodded, and waited for the woman to finish making breakfast.
—————
Harper walked through the balls with her brown jacket in one hand and bag over one shoulder. All she wanted to do was dump them at her locker and head to her first class, but alas, she was stopped short by Steve. Harper raised her brow and shifted her weight onto one of her legs,

"I didn't think I'd see you here today. Heard you were smashed." He started lightheartedly. When Harper's expression didn't change, and a word was yet to leave his mouth, he sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, "Okay, I'm sorry I left you at the party. I completely forgot that I was taking you home." He said with a sigh,

"Was it something to do with Nancy?" Harper asked, causing Steve to frown,

"How did you-"

"Billy told me that she left with Jonathan and she wouldn't be doing that if you didn't have a fight." Harper stated, causing Steve's frown to deepen,

"What were you doing with Billy?" He asked, putting his hands over his chest. Steve wasn't the biggest fan of Billy, the blonde had been trying to agitate him last night and it didn't work too well.

"He approached me, and since you left me there I was stuck with him for the rest of the night 'cause he was my ride home." Harper's statement was enough to make him feel guilty, so instead of arguing, he let it go.

"Just watch yourself with him." Harper rolled her eyes with a small smile,

"Next time don't ditch me." Harper punched his shoulder with her free hand and the pair chuckled. Harper said a quick goodbye before she continued walking to her locker while Steve walked in the opposite direction.

When she was there, she opened it and chucked her jacket and spare books into the small space that was usually empty. When she was done, she closed it. When the locker door shut, Billy was leaning against the one behind it, causing her to jump. Billy laughed, while Harper rolled her eyes and began to walk off. But Billy was quick to follow.

"I was wondering if you wanted to do something after school?" He asked, walking faster to match her speed,

"No, I'm busy." She stated. She had no plans, she never did unless Steve, Nancy or Jonathan wanted to hangout or finish a piece of homework together.

"Doing what?" He pushed, standing in front of her. He was determined.

"Absolutely nothing." She replied, pushing past him and heading towards her first period class. Billy watched as Harper turned the corner. He was pissed. Billy didn't understand what was wrong with Harper, any girl he asked out would drop to their knees for him. But she refused to even have a conversation with him.

|||||||

"Am I dropping you off today or not?" Harper called. Yesterday had been hectic. Especially for will and his friends. Harper ended up dropping Max, Billy's step sister off at home. Today she was supposed to drop her brother off at school, only he was still in his room.

"I'll just ride to school!" He shouted back behind the closed door. Harper sighed,

"Okay then I'll see you later." She said before walking out to her second hand car. Before she could Ben unlock it, she heard someone beep at her. She spun around and saw Steve sitting there. Harper walked over to the car and quickly got in.

"Still trying to make up for ditching me?" She joked, causing him to roll his eyes.

"I wanted to ask you about Nancy." He stated. The tone in his voice was serious, causing Harper to drop her smile as they drove off.

"What's the problem?" She asked,

"Am I over reacting?" He asked, causing Harper to frown. Steve seemed to have forgotten that she hadn't spoken much to either of them since the party,

"I wouldn't know, I haven't seen much of you two since the party. I don't even know what happened." She informed him, causing him to look over to her for a moment then turn back to the road,

"At Tina's party, she said that I'm bullshit, that our relationship is bullshit. And I feel like I'm overreacting because she was drunk." Harper nodded, understanding where he was coming from.

"You aren't overreacting, just because you're drunk doesn't mean what you say isn't true." She stated,

"Surprisingly, that doesn't help." He snapped, causing Harper to chuckle,

"Im not going to pretend everything is fine. Im just telling you that you have the right to be angry." Harper replied calmly,

"She said she didn't love me." She could hear his heart drop, and it upset her. Steve didn't deserve that.

"Well, maybe you'll work it out. If not, then she doesn't know what she's missing out on."