chapter six

Beca's POV

The auditorium was empty after rehearsal, which wasn't really unusual. The unusual part was that Chloe always waits for me so we can walk out together to get coffee or to go on an impromptu shopping spree—or to just walk out before parting.

Okay the point is, we always walk out together.

Deciding she had had something important to do, I grabbed ‪my bag and headed off. It wasn't that big of a deal; she probably just had a place to be and had to leave right after rehearsal.

I didn't give it much thought, really.

As I rounded the corner of the building, I saw the silhouettes of two people standing by the wall. One was leaning against the wall and looking up at the taller figure, the other leaning down towards the smaller one as they engaged in conversation.

Confusion took over ‪my body as I walked towards the two people, close enough to observe but still staying out of eyesight. Our rehearsals are closed, so it would make no sense that two people would be in here.

Unless...

A flash of red crossed ‪my vision— Chloe. Well, Chloe's hair, to be exact.

As I waked closer, I realized that Chloe had, in fact, been the shorter figure leaning against the wall. She had a piece of hair wrapped around her finger as she gave the person in front of her a shit-eating grin.

I frowned, disgusted. I mean, seriously? She looked like a high school girl talking to her crush. Not to mention, the person in front of her was a boy *shudder* and she was most definitely not straight. No, not after the way she would scream ‪my name and arch her ba--

Anyways.

The wheels turned in ‪my head as I thought of all the possible scenarios. They could be talking for something related to class, but that would be impractical because Chloe would usually be going home right about now, and they could've just talked later, not directly after rehearsal. He could be her brother, for all I know. I've never had a sibling, but maybe they're just close?

More and more scenarios crossed ‪my mind, but I kept figuring out ways to dispute them. I took a deep breath before making ‪my presence known, walking straight up to the pair.

"Chloe?"

She turned to me, and the widest range of emotions crossed her face during that split second. Her eyes brightened up when she saw me, before glancing back to her friend and frowning. "Beca," she said uneasily. "hey uh..this is Chicago."

"Uh huh, and what is Chicago doing here? This is a closed rehearsal," I said, turning ‪my gaze to the tall man who had been next to her.

"Well, technically," Chloe began, stepping in. "Rehearsal ended 15 minutes ago, so it's free space."

I gave her a tight lipped smile. "Right, I must've forgotten," I said through clenched teeth. "Um, Colorado, was it?" I said, turning to the figure next to her. I received a glare from Chloe, returning it right back to her.

"Chicago, but that happens a lot; you'd be surprised," he said with a laugh.

"Yeah?" I said, giving him a fake smile. The smile didn't waver from ‪my face as I said "Well, Chicago, I don't give a shit. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to talk to my friend here."