prologue

[ PROLOGUE ]

"PLEASE don't let them take me," She begged Thomas

"PLEASE don't let them take me," She begged Thomas. "I—I'm not ready."

"Listen to me, you are the toughest girl I've ever met. You're gonna make it. Then I'm gonna find you and we're gonna live the rest of our lives together just like we planned. I love you, Rae." He told her before kissing her one last time.

"I love you, Thomas." She sobbed. The two shared one final kiss before Rae was dragged away to be sent into the Maze Trials.

The first night Thomas spent alone was a bad one. He couldn't stop sobbing as he let the only thing he ever truly cared for escape from his grasp.

He would be lying if he said that it got easier as time went on, but it just got harder.

Three years passed before he sent himself up with Group A and became apart of the Maze Trials himself.

He couldn't stand to see his friends go through the pain that they were enduring.

He couldn't see the love of his life barely make it through the day. He could barely make it himself.

When Thomas had gotten into the Box and into the Maze, he met Rae once more.

But then he realized, he remembered her, but she did not. For Rae had forgotten everything the two had gone through. Every trial and error. Every kiss and 'I love you'.

And the thought was enough to shatter
his heart into a million pieces.