three

[ chapter three ]

NEWT nudged Rae as she began picking the fruit off the branches

"Do you think—"

"No, I don't think the Greenie will be annoying."

"Okay, it's rude to interrupt," He began. "But I was going to say, do you think that Frypan will make his cookies tonight?"

"Oh, uh... Probably. It's Greenie day, so most likely."

"Thank god," He mumbled as he pulled the weeds from the ground. "Do you know how long it's been since Fry made those bloody cookies?"

"Too long." Rae chuckled.

As if on cue, the blaring alarm that announced a new arrival was here, made everyone rush towards the Box, excited to see who the new Greenie was to pick on.

Newt and Rae stood in the front, watching the steel doors open to reveal the new Green Bean.

"Looks like klunk in a t-shirt." Samuel snickered.

"You're the klunk, shuck-face!" Zart replied, making the group laugh.

"Dude, it smells like feet down there."

"Hope you enjoyed the one-way trip, Greenie."

"Ain't no ticket back, bro."

Gally then jumped down to the Greenie, "Day one, Greenie. Rise' n shine."

With that, the Builder grabbed the newbie by the shirt, two other boys pulling him up and throwing him to the dirt floor.

The young man looked around at the tight circle that had formed around him, immediately standing up to run off.

"We got a runner!" Zart shouted. The group bursted into laughter as they saw the Greenie run towards the open Maze doors and then proceed to fall flat on his face.

As Alby told two of the Gladers to go and get the new guy, the group dispersed to go and do their own jobs, as the work day was still on going.

-

"And this is, Rae. She's the Keeper of the Track-Hoes. Before you say anything," Newt tells him. "That joke is old and has died down greatly since she arrived."

"I-Uh..."

"Yes, Greenie, we know. We all have swooned over her once, get over it." Newt replied to the new guy's stammering.

"It's okay, Greenie. It was nice to meet you. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some more cookies." She says, beginning to walk away.

"Oh! Grab me some before that cheeky shank, Chuck takes them."

"Newt!" She scolds, swatting his arm and walking away.

The arrival could help but watch as her hair swayed off of her shoulder, or how the shorts she wore fit perfectly.

"Stop staring. It's weird," Newt shudders. "Anyway, speaking of jobs, here's Clint and Jeff. Their the Med-Jacks."

The two Med-Jacks make their introductions before walking off, heading towards the Slicers.

"What if I wanna be a runner?" The boy asked which made Newt chuckle.

"Did you not listen to a word I just said? No one wants to be a Runner."

"But—" Before the Green Bean could finish his sentence, one of the Gladers that Gally had thrown out of the fight circle, ran into the newbie.

"Whaddya say Greenie? Wanna give it a try?"

"Uh.. Yeah, I guess."

Rae walks up to Newt as Gally explains to him what the rules were.

"Here ya go." She told him as she handed him two cookies.

"Just two? Two bloody cookies, Rae?"

"Newt, honey, that's all they had." She jokes as he looks at the napkin of the four cookies she had.

"You're a Shank, ya know that?" He tells her as he steals one of her cookies.

"Tell me something I don't know." She shrugs as she turns her attention back to Gally and the Greenie.

"Nah, I think I've settled on Shank." Was the last thing she heard before she saw the newbie launch himself at Gally, only to be pushed back.

The next thing had surprised them all. The new guy had ducked out from under Gally, throwing him out of the circle.

'Ooo's and Aah's' erupted throughout the surrounding members.

"Not bad for a Greenie—" Gally had cut him off mid-sentence to trip him at his feet, landing at the ground.

Rae winced as she saw him hit his head and look up at her. She gave him a small smile, which made his eyes light up.

"I-I remember my name!" He shouted as he stood up. "I'm Thomas!"

"Thomas!" They cheered.

"Welcome home, Thomas." Rae told him as she handed him Gally's secret recipe.

He gave her a warm smile before chugging down the drink.

Just as gorgeous as I remember, He thought as he looked at her one last time.

-