four

[ chapter four ]

RAE looked up from the ground only to see Thomas standing in front of her

"Can I help you?" She asks as she stands up, wiping the dirt off of her hands.

"Oh, uh, Newt said I was with you today." He replied.

"Oh, alright. How about you start with watering the plants over there." She tells him as she hands him a watering can.

"Sounds good." He smiled, purposefully brushing his hand against Rae's.

Thomas noticed how she smiled at him. He wanted to think she remembered him. But he knew she didn't and that was just the cold truth he had to accept.

-

"Have you tried climbing to the top?" Thomas asked.

Rae sighed. "The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top."

"What about—"

"Thomas, can I say something without being rude?" He nods. "Whatever you think of, we've already tried. Probably twice. George volunteered to go down the Box and he got cut in half. I think the other half is in the dead-heads if you get any dumb ideas." She laughed.

"Yeah." He chuckled.

"Anyways, could you get some more fertilizer?" Rae asked him.

"Oh, sure." He responded, less enthusiastic than she expected. She threw him the makeshift bucket and he walked off.

"Does he know where the fertilizer is?" Zart asked her.

"Probably not," She chuckles. "I'm sure he'll find it."

It was a few minutes later when Rae heard screaming coming towards the west side of the Glade.

She looked up and saw Ben chasing Thomas.

"Newt! Alby!" She yelled before rushing over to where Ben was on top of Thomas.

She saw Newt come over, bringing a stick to Ben's head.

"Hold him down!" He ordered.

Rae suddenly felt sick as she saw Thomas gasping for air. It was an indescribable feeling, but she didn't like that he was hurt. Rae didn't necessarily know why as she barely knew him for 48 hours.

"Are you okay?" She asked him as she scanned his body.

"I-I'm fine." He choked out.

"Come on, let's get you to the Med-Jacks." She said as she grabbed his hand, pulling him up.

The two walked to the Med-Jacks tent, only to find that neither Clint or Jeff was there.

"Their probably with Ben. Take a seat." She tells him as he sits down on the cot.

"Can I see your hand?" She asks him. He happily obliged and showed her his hand. "No stitches, but you'll probably get a nice scar." She tells him.

"Sounds alright to me. Aren't you a Track-Hoe? How do you know that I don't need stitches?"

"When I got here, their Med-Jack had just passed, which was George by the way. And that was kind of my unofficial job for the time being until Clint showed up and he had a bigger passion for it." She explains as she wipes the blood with a cloth.

"Oh." Is all he says.

Rae wrapped his wrist carefully, Thomas enjoyed every second of it. He had missed her touch and planned to soak up every second of it.

"Are you seriously okay though?" She asked him.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"I'm sure you have some questions, but I can't really answer them. I would go find Alby or he'll find you," Rae told him. "Anyway, you're all set."

"Thanks, Rae."

"Of course. I'll see you at dinner?" She asked, secretly hoping he would say yes.

"Yeah." He smiled, stammering with his words a bit.

"Alright, cool. I'll see you later, Thomas."

Thomas smiled once more before he ran into the door on his way out, making Rae laugh at him.

-