Chapter Five

"Get off." 

No move. Nada. Zilch. It was worth a try, even though I knew my feeble attempt was thrown away as if it meant nothing.

"Now, sweetheart. We ain't gonna do any harm to you. I'm being honest." Isaac explained, "You just need to cooperate."

"Cooperate? That's what you're calling it now." A scoff escapes my lips and Jay's arms tighten on my waist. Making me fully aware once more of the warmth against my back and the arms encircling me. It's almost like a hug. Almost. I haven't had one of them in years.

"For god's sake. I'm not asking you to spread your legs. I'm simply welcoming you into our humble abode." Of course I didn't believe him. Of course they would want me to settle down at some point. They wouldn't be trying to keep me here so much if they didn't want me for a reason. I'm probably more of a nuisance than they realise.

"What's the catch?"

"No catch."

"Yeh right. I'm supposed to believe you want to share your resources with a person you just met and let them into this little community you've got going on purely out of the goodness of your heart."

"Yes actually. We have been doing it for years. We let people in. See what they're made of. If they cause problems they're out. Simple as that. What do you think I had my troops out there searching for? We don't need food. It's all raided and we've got it. We don't need more resources. Anything worth a damn is long gone by now. Our troops simply go out there to find people without a group, and bring them in. Which is what happened with you."

For some reason, I believe what he is saying is the truth. But I know men. Something would happen eventually if I stayed here. 

"So let's say I stayed. What would I do here?"

"What everyone else does. Find what you're good at, and do it. Everyone helps. You get your own sleeping area. You join us at gatherings. You make friends. You live the rest of whatever life we've all got left with people around you. Not alone."

"I'm guessing I have no choice no matter how much you try to reassure me."

"Not really." His shrug and slight smile almost makes me grin. He seems nice, no matter how much I hate his innuendo's.

"Well where the hell am I sleeping then." I sigh. The warmth disappears from behind me, and almost makes me frown.

Jay holds his hand out in mocking.

"Right this way, m'lady." And for whatever reason, I take his hand.

---------

The makeshift hut is cosy. Not what I expected at all. I was not taken to the tents in the shopping centre, but instead to one of the makeshift huts I saw when I was entering earlier. Blankets are made up in the corner as a bed and candles hang from the walls. A single chair sits in the corner with a small stool as a makeshift table. It's not much. But it's the best thing I've had in years. It almost gives me hope. Almost.

I still feel like I can't trust them, I feel like they are making me fall for their trap. Whatever their trap is, I'm sad to say it's working. The last places I stayed at were horrid. The men didn't even try to hide their true wants. They threw me in a cell and that was that. Here, they are at least civilised.

The shadows flicker across the walls as the fire from the candles illuminates the hut. If mum were here she'd complain about the fire hazard with all the blankets that make up this place. If Dad were here, he'd put them all out just to make her happy. If my brother were here he would light them all back up again just so I could watch the shadows dance once more. 

A knock on the door flings me from my reminiscing. Immediately I roll over and close my eyes. If I'm sleeping, they'll leave. Or so I thought. The door creaks open and thuds enter the room. Two people, ones footsteps are light, the others heavy.

"She's asleep." A small voice says. Patrick.

"So it seems." The other muses. Jay.

"We should probably leave. I'll just grab my shoes real quick." There is shuffling across the floor and then something being picked up. The shoes that were in the corner. This was Patricks old hut. Now I feel terrible.

"Thanks for volunteering your hut bud, just couldn't have her in the shopping centre with all the guys. We may be kind, but not all are."

"I don't mind. She reminds me of my sister." Patrick whispers making my heart ache for him.

"You go on bud, I'll see you in the morning." Theres a pat on the back and Patrick leaves as the makeshift door swings closed again.

"You can wake up now." He chuckles making me groan. Of course he bloody knew. Sitting up I bring up my legs and hug my knees.

"Smart arse." I mutter. He stares at me for a second, a very long second and I sit there staring back. All of a sudden he blinks, shakes his head and clears his throat.

"Um, just thought I'd let you know breakfast is at 9. A bell sounds, it'll wake you right up, trust me."

I nod my head in understanding. "Patrick didn't have to give up his hut. That's not fair."

"We couldn't have you sleeping in the tents." He huffs.

"Why not."

"As I said, some of us are good. Some of us aren't."

"And which are you?" I whisper as I untangle my legs and lean forward.

"I'll let you decide for yourself." He murmurs as he leans forward also. He's so close and I don't know what's overcome me. I hate this sort of stuff. I don't trust men, any men. And yet this man has me leaning in. Before anything can happen though, he leans back and stands by the door.

"See you in the morning mi amore." 

And then he's gone.