Chapter 6: Dryad

A/N: I have no idea on what i'm doing about planned plot for this story. i'm just going chapter by chapter o.0

The building that they approached had a homey, welcoming feel. Despite that, there were no signs that it was a busy guild out front. No people shouting about what they learned, no alcohol-lovers passionately shouting about what new wine they had procured.

Lucien knew of these guilds. After all, he was a fan of Black Clover and the like back in his former life. He sighed, already feeling oddly homesick and it's barely been 5 hours since he opened his eyes. 

Still reminiscing, he followed them through the double doors. He was welcome by a deserted commons..or mess hall. Food still littered the tabletops as if their attendants had left in a hurry. There were no maids or waiters coming around to clear things up.

"Where's everyone, if you say this is a guild?" Lucien asked, growing increasingly suspicious. If he had been led to a trap, he would make sure to pull everyone and everything down with him.

"ah..we're late. Follow." Rurik motioned to Lucien, leading the way.

They headed through a door off to the far left corner of the mess hall, a long hallway. Lucien easily kept up with Rurik's long strides as he led the way. The hallway opened up to a balcony that looked down what suspiciously resembled a gladiator pit. At the stands above them, there were people. Hundreds of them. They broke out into a raucous uproar as soon as Rurik, Filomena, Leiah, and Sen showed themselves with Lucien in tow

Lucien was shocked that he had not heard them all the way from the entrance, his anxiety spiking. 

maybe this really was a trap. it seems like i've completely forgotten the dangers of following strangers the minute i get reincarnated.

"Welcome..." Rurik's voice was suddenly louder as the section of the ground he stood on rose into the air, lifting him with it. "...to the guild's initiation contest."

"Here, you will see many talents belonging to many ambitious individuals. So you think you're good enough to protect our city of Aiona?" The crowd went wild with whoops and cheers.

And we have a special guest today that we honestly just found in the forest. kids these days, amiright?" The crowd was like those in a live sitcom, they laughed at the terrible joke whereas people like Lucien winced. He knew the situation did not look too favorable for him, but he still had time to acknowledge how bad the joke truly was. 

Rurik suddenly pointed down at lucien, who still clutched his cloak tighter as hundreds of pairs of eyes turned on him.

"He's the special guest, a live dryad."

A hush fell over the crowd as waves of murmurs rippled through. 

"Aren't those a protected species after the Great War?"

"Why do you have one"

"How did you find one"

Question after question were fired at Rurik, who was to busy smirking inward at himself to answer.

"For all i know, he could be the last living dryad. Let's go easy on him for he will be joining our ranks despite was the guild leader says. I am one of the Vices after all, eh?"

"Welp, it's too late to go back now." Lucien said, slightly irritated that he wasn't properly alerted about this. 

"This is all so sudden and in the moment." Lucien heard Sen say. It was then that he took the time to look around him, at the faces of the other 3 adventurers. They were just as confused as him, although they did a better job at masking it. Leiah had her hood up, but the resentment that he felt from her was nearly uncalled for.