Chapter 11: Old Faces

^^We all know who that is :D

It was like being suspended underwater, despite the fact Lucien could still breathe. One second, he was behind Rurik. The next second, his vision was encased in blue before black took over. He had recalled one particular scene from his old life that his situation reminded him of.

His father had been in his office for practically days on end, only leaving for vital necessities. His mother could only watch on with a mixture of pity and solemnity in her eyes. Lucien had been only 10 at the time, so he had not understood what his father did. Even now, he did not understand.

One particular afternoon, his father had left the door open a crack, allowing Lucien to sneak in and take a peek a what he had been doing, allowing Lucien to sneak in and take a peek a what he had been doing. The first thing he had registered was the sheer amount of screens that covered every inch of wall. Flitting between images of peaceful countryside to wildfire-ravaged villages.

Lucien would always remember what one specific screen showed. A forest. Not just any forest, one that seemed to be made out of jello. Each tree was a different color and shone with that jello-like sheen.

Clumsy, Lucien had leaned in to take a closer look, disregarding the keyboard that shone with important-looking keys. He had kneed a couple of screens that had caused the screen to go black. One screen out of tens of them. Lucien panicked, unsure of what to do. He knew if he called his father, he would get in trouble, resulting in getting grounded for all of eternity.

His mother had always taught him not to go in there. With the way she had stressed the issue, one would assume Lucien's father was working on a top-secret government task. Deep down, he knew that if he were ever caught in there, his mother would not save him.

Doing what anyone would have done in the same situation, Lucien attempted to reverse his action. Now this would have worked if he knew what exactly he did. He hesitantly pushed a button. The screen flashed on but to a different scene. A hospital. Specifically, the hospital where his mother had told him, with a fond smile and a distant look in her eyes, that he was born.

The scene blinked closer into a window, inside were a young couple. The woman, dark brown hair and honey-gold eyes, laid on the bed gripping the hand of the young man. Even at that age, Lucien understood that this was probably his birth video. Bored and unimpressed, he abandoned ship and snuck back out of the room.

What he failed to see was the oddity with the supposed newborn. It did not wail, or move, or...breathe much. A stillborn. The doctor had rushed him away with his father in tow barely holding the camera with sweaty, nervous hands. The doctor had been able to register faint life within the body.

It was then that the baby had been hooked up to life support with shockingly low chances of survival. Matter of fact, it had been born with a rare genetic defect where its body deteriorated yet its mind was intact. The baby's body had withered away in a matter of weeks.

---

Lucien woke up to damp clothes and blinding blue skies. He was surrounded by trees once again, almost as if he had returned back to square 1. Just to make sure, Lucien checked his status.

He cringed at his health, more than half of it had been sapped away by the slime which was nowhere to be found

He cringed at his health, more than half of it had been sapped away by the slime which was nowhere to be found. He groaned and leaned up into a sitting position. Even now, many years later in a completely different environment, Lucien had wished he had risked it and watched the video all the way through.

He had no idea how long he had been out, and a little part of him did not want to find out. There he had laid, open and completely defenseless. What if some wild animal or-- scavenger had come by and..

He cut his train of thought short. He'd decided to go exploring to get his mind off of invading thoughts and memories about his old life, preferring to focus on the here and now. Little did he know he was being watched. A rustle to the right, swishing from the left, Lucien failed to pick up on the basic clues.

At the snap of a twig, Lucien whirled around. His gaze landed on one particular shrub that wasn't like the others. For one, the leaves kept twitching as if it was restless. He slowly approached, careful to not make any sudden movements as to not scare whoever was behind it.

"Ow! Damn creatures!" a voice cried out before out tumbled a...person. Specifically, a person who was too focused rolling around the dirt.

"What are you doing, help me out here!" she cried, patting down herself as tiny, black, ant-like creature swarmed all over her.

"What am i supposed to do exactly." Lucien raised an eyebrow at the scene.

"SOMETHING, I DON'T KNOW. JUST GET THEM OFF."

Lucien recalled seeing a skill called [Heal Blossom] on his status skills. He recalled receiving it after he encountered a wounded animal on one of his crack-of-dawn quests back at the guild.

"Heal Blossom." He had no idea what the effects would be, but it was worth a shot. Costing him merely a few of mana points, it was worth a shot.

The stranger's body was encased in a soft green glow for a few seconds before vanishing. One by one, the creatures fell off and crawled away as fast as their legs would allow...back to their vibrating bush.

"Ah, thanks." She smiled, dusting off her blue robes. She picked up her hat, which had fell quite a ways away, dusted that off and placed it back on her head. It was then that realization and recognition struck Lucien light a truck.

"Aren't you the arrogant witch that fought at the guild tournament?"

Shock flitted across her face before quickly becoming buried beneath a facade of pomposity.

"Why, yes, I am." She smirked. "And you are-"

"But first, why were you even following me." Lucien interrupted.

"I-"

"Actually, I could use your help in getting out of here."

"But-"

"Do you even know the way out? If I remember correctly, your mother is well renown."

"SSSSStop right there." She hissed, clenching her teeth. "Backtrack a bit to your first question."

"ah...why were you following me..?" Lucien asked once more, hesitating.

"Yes, that would be answered if you follow me." Needa gave him a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"I swear, if this is some sort of trap-"

"No, No. My mother has been watching you for quite some time." She glued her eyes to the ground, suddenly shy after realizing something. "We would never do anything to harm you."

Relief cascaded over Lucien. A part of him told him that she was right and had nothing to hide.

"Not -- you'd let -- anyways." Needa mumbled beneath her breath.

"What?"

"Nothing. Never-mind that and just follow." Needa broke out into a light jog. Shrugging, Lucien followed close behind.

A/N: Is "quite a ways away" grammatically correct? idk i've seen authors use the phrase tho. lemme know if there are any errors (right next to the paragraph they're spotted ;P)

Thanks for being patient, turns out I write more during school (^-^' )