chapter two; new neighbours

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

"GET ME OUT OF HERE." Summer groans as she and Jonathan slide into his car, grateful to be able to put an end to the horrible day she had endured. All she wanted to do now was go home, curl up in bed, and try to forget about everything.

Fortunately for her, her day didn't include any more run-ins with Steve or Nancy. It was like he had been purposely avoiding her, which she wouldn't blame him for, and it wasn't like she wasn't trying to do the exact same thing.

There was no way of knowing how things were going to unravel the next time they saw each other. Especially when he had already reacted the way that he had. He spoke to her as if she was someone he wanted nothing to do with. Like the hope she had been holding onto for them to rekindle their friendship was for nothing.

"Will and the boys want to see you. They demanded it actually." Jonathan says before quietly turning the radio on, his eyes focused on the road in front of him.

"Maybe we can take them to the arcade later? Or for ice cream?" Summer suggests. She knew seeing the boys for the first time after so long had to be special, plus she felt obligated to make it up to them for leaving.

"I think they'd like that. They really missed you, y'know?" A helpless smile graces the boy's lips. "We all did."

"Don't get all mushy on me now," She softly hits his arm and they sit in silence for a second before she gives in. "I missed you guys too."

The rest of the drive is spent mostly in silence with nothing but one of Jonathan's infamous mixtapes playing, one of her favourite pastimes. It had been so long since she got to freely listen to music, without the wailing of her father and his girlfriend complaining about it.

Sadly, the majority of the time they actually spoke was when he was arguing with her, or criticising every little thing that she did. He'd ask about her day and it would turn into a conversation about what she planned to do with her future, which only ever led to him expressing his disappointment when she told him she wasn't sure what she wanted to do with her life yet.

It didn't come as a shock when she remembered why she never wanted to visit him, and why he was her last resort to get out of Hawkins. If there had been any other option, she would've taken it, and it was clear he wasn't exactly pleased when she showed up on his doorstep.

"Hey, isn't that Steve's car?" Jonathan furrows his brows as they pull into Summer's street.

At the mention of his name, Summer shoots up in her seat, and just like Jonathan had said, parked out the front of her house was Steve's BMW. The sight of the vehicle made her realise just how badly she had missed him and seeing his car had brought up a tonne of nostalgic feelings.

His car held so many important memories. Some that she once thought would've bonded them for life.

All those times that they went to the drive-ins, or just hung out listening to music. All of the late-night talks about their deepest thoughts. It was little things like that that Summer missed the most about their friendship.