chapter four; bummer summer

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

"DO YOU THINK I WAS STUPID FOR LEAVING?" Summer sighs, her gaze stuck in her lap, not daring to meet his eyes. Her conversation with Steve had brought on a lot of unwarranted overthinking, and she'd spent her night contemplating the choices she had made.

"I don't think it was stupid," He pauses, hands grasping the steering wheel as he pulls into the school parking lot. "But I don't think it made much of a difference either. Sure, you got away from it all, but only to wind up back here. Going through the same mess as before."

Summer remained silent as the engine cut off. She was hurt by his words even though she knew she'd brought it upon herself, but there was a difference between wondering how someone feels to actually knowing.

Jonathan reached for her hand, but she pulls away, and says "I've got to get to class."

He calls after her but his efforts fall on deaf ears, or so it seemed. He knew he shouldn't have been so honest with her but it was what she needed to hear.

Crossing her arms as she nervously makes her way through the car park, she keeps her head down so to not attract any more attention than she wanted. Her peers were still apparently stunned by her return, and in a world where her only safe haven was the embrace of a boy that currently wanted nothing to do with her, her own comfort would have to suffice.

The thought brings her back to the night of his party and how harmless the world seemed when she was with him. His strong arms wrapped around her tightly, yet holding her as though she was the most delicate thing in the world - because to him, she was.

Then, as if on cue, Summer comes to a halt when she spots Steve sitting in his car with Nancy, the couple talking over a piece of paper that the girl was scribbling on. Taking in a deep breath, she prepares herself to pass them as the calm atmosphere of the parking lot is disturbed by a roaring engine, and the same blue Camaro from yesterday swoops right past her and into the spot across from Steve.

The loud music fades as the driver's door swings open and out steps Billy in all his denim glory. He had caused such an uproar that everyone had stopped what they were doing just to stare at him. The girls were practically swooning over the boy, while the guys stared with narrow eyes. Steve and Nancy had even stepped out of the car to see what all the noise and commotion was about.

There was so much attention on the boy with golden locks that the small red-haired girl that had stepped out of the car and rode away on her skateboard, went by almost completely unnoticed.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here." Billy takes a drag of his cigarette before licking his lips and striding himself over to Summer, ignoring the following eyes.

"Looks like you've made quite the first impression." She sighs and tucks her hands into the back pockets of her jeans.

"Have I?" He looks around at the staring eyes, unaffected by all of the attention.