chapter nine; secrets

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

"GOOD MORNING." Steve whispers, his voice groggy as he smiles down at Summer, stirring her from her slumber. He could've remained silent, could've admired her while she slept for a little longer, but he couldn't wait another second to truly confirm that last night had happened.

Her eyes slowly flicker open as his hand moves to brush the loose strands of hair from her face, and upon meeting his gaze, the events of the previous night come rushing back.

A blissful smile pulls at her lips before she presses a kiss to his chin, the small hairs prickling them, and she nuzzles closer into his chest, "Morning."

"Y'know, last night was the first night I've ever actually stayed until morning." He adjusts his head so that he could see her face. "I've got to say, I could definitely get used to it."

"I wish we could stay like this all day." Summer says barely above a whisper, her eyes closed as she takes in the serenity of the moment.

"I know, but there's this thing called 'school'." He traces circles on her exposed shoulder, her bare skin smooth under the pad of his finger.

Steve had spent so much time conflicted by his feelings, a constant cycle of wanting to hate Summer or just outright being head over heels for her, that it felt surreal to finally be able to just... be.

He didn't regret the way it had happened. Sure, there were things he would've liked to change, like the whole Nancy aspect of it all, or the fact that it had happened right after Nancy's revelations. But at the end of the day, he had always loved Summer while he had never really felt that way about Nancy. And apparently, the feeling was very much mutual.

Nancy showing her true colours only made him realise that all they were doing was wasting each other's time. Sure, what they had was great at first, but why bother being with someone if there's nothing there?

"Summer, are you up yet? You're gonna be late for school." Helene knocks at the door, her presence startling the two as they leap from the bed with nothing but the thin material of the blankets covering their almost bare bodies.

"I'll be down in a minute, I'm just getting dressed!" Summer panics. She'd never been so thankful to finally have a lock on her bedroom door.

"Okay, don't be too long." Helene adds before her footsteps descend down the staircase.

Steve frantically pulls on his now crinkled suit pants and shirt from last night, unable to locate his shoes and decided to give up before climbing out the window. They both knew that it was only a matter of time before Helene noticed his red BMW parked next door and put two and two together.

"I'll see you at school. Don't miss this pretty face too much, okay?" His sarcasm goes undetected as his lips quirk up in a roguish grin.

"I'll try not to." She gives him a quick kiss and then watches as he climbs down the side of the house and races across the front lawn to his car, leaving her basking in the thought of them being together after everything they'd been through.