Taken!

Legolas raised his head from his father's lap. Thranduil's fingers left his forehead. Legolas sat up and peered curiously into the woods around him. A pale face peeked out of the trees, rimmed by midnight black hair.

"Landion!" Legolas cried. "We have been looking for your everywhere! Come meet my ada."

Landion swallowed. He slipped out of the trees and fidgeted, his eyes on the grass below his feet. "Y-you must not come near here. It is dangerous. And you must stop looking for me."

Thranduil's brow furrowed with concern. "Why? Have you been hurt?"

Tears brimmed up into Landion's green eyes. "Yes. In many ways. You must leave now before they catch you! Run!" His voice rose to a hysterical scream.

Two human men leaped from the tress behind Landion. They grabbed the elfling by the arms. "You dirty rat! You will pay for your near treachery!"

Landion hung his head. He looked up at Thranduil, tears streaming down his face. "I am sorry. You should have listened to me. Now he will torture you to!"

Thranduil's body tensed. Turning his head, he glanced over his shoulder. Half a dozen humans were ringed around him and Legolas, crossbows pointed at him. His hand tightened on Legolas's small one. It had been a trap, and Landion the distraction.

"One move, mighty King of Mirkwood, and the boy dies," one of the human's warned. His companion twisted Landion's arm behind his back until the elfling cried out in pain. The pain in his tortured green eyes made Thranduil's heart lurch. He realized he was helpless, and unarmed. The woods so near the palace were safe. He had never dreamed anyone would dare try and abduct him so close to home.

Rough hands grabbed his arms from behind, jerking Legolas's hand from his. Tight ropes were wound around his wrists and jerked securely. Thranduil cursed himself for falling into this trap. He was not worried about himself, but he feared for his son. He heard Legolas whimper and looked down. The humans had tied his son's wrists and the ropes were cutting into his flesh. Thranduil closed his eyes. What had he done? Legolas came first. Legolas should not be be suffering. He should have cut his losses and fled . . . the humans would have shot both of them down.

A gag was stiffed into his mouth from behind with such force Thranduil almost choked. His eyes grew moist. The humans gave Legolas and Landion the same treatment to keep them silent. Surrounding their captives in a close ring, they shoved them through the woods, keeping their eyes open for danger.

Thranduil realized he knew where the humans were taking him. They were traveling toward the Forbidden Grove! His heart sank; his warriors would never dream of looking for him there. Unless . . . Thranduil stopped walking with his usual elven grace. His feet snapped over twigs, and his shoulders snapped thin branches from the trees he passed.

"Silence!" the humans hissed. They were taking careful steps over the forest floor to hide the traces of their passing.

Thranduil obeyed for a few minutes, and then returned to his activities, hoping the trail he left would be enough for his scouts to pick up on.

The Forbidden Grove came into sight. Mist swirled around the trees, hiding them in greenish fog. Red and pink and white lights danced in the fog. The luring shapes of woman waving veils, beckoning and singing sweet songs were dim in the mist, retreating back as the humans and their captives delved into the honey-smelling mist.

Thranduil's head whirled. His sense were devastated by the sweet songs, the shapes of beautiful woman, and the many enticing smells around him. His eyelids felt heavy and he struggled to keep them open. Mist swirled around him, melting from color to color, taking on the shapes of his happiest dreams, and immersing him in the embrace of deadly bliss. He noticed the humans did not seem daunted by any of the Forbidden Grove's alluring illusions and dangers. He would have fallen asleep and never woken up, joining the bones littering the ground beneath the mist, but the humans dragged him on.

The party broke out of the mist, into the center of the grove. Mist swirled all around them and before them a tall hill rose up. In the center of it, a gaping hole led down into the earth flanked by two humans in metal armor, holding spears with tips of black metal.

The world was plunged into darkness as the humans shoved their captives into the hole. A tunnel led into the earth, its light dim. Cobwebs covered the ceiling and the floor crumbled. The tunnel ended at a three-way intersection. A tunnel ran left and right. Ahead the tunnel ran on, opening out into a wide cavern.

Thranduil's head cleared as he walked, having left the mists behind. He had survived the Forbidden Grove and come to this mysterious place, but could he survive the tortures waiting ahead?