No Sunshine

"Are we dead, ada?"

Thranduil broke out of his doze. His hand stroked Legolas's cheek. "No, tithen las, we are alive and well."

"I am hungry," Legolas said, the pangs in his stomach confirming his father's words.

"Healer Jailil will be here soon with lunch," Thranduil answered. His body still ached but his need to hold Legolas close conquered his desire to avoid pain. He reached down and cuddled Legolas to his chest. Legolas shifted, his head a top Thranduil's heart. He listened to the soothing beats until he heard footsteps.

Healer Jailil and Harune walked into the room, each holding a tray of steaming food. Healer Jailil frowned at the sight of Legolas. He set his tray down on the small table at the foot of the bed and launched into speech. "You were told to lie still, Thranduil. Having Legolas atop you is not good for your injuries and may cause them to worsen. What is the matter with you? How can I be expected to heal you if you cannot learn to take orders?"

Thranduil sighed. Harune helped Legolas slid off him and sit beside him, propped against pillows. Harune sat down beside Legolas and fed him spoonful's of hot broth and meat. Still frowning, Healer Jailil shoveled food into Thranduil's mouth, muttering to himself.

Legolas ate hungrily, enjoying the peppery taste of the meat and the hot scent of the broth.

"Is Landion all right?" Legolas asked.

Healer Jailil and Harune exchanged glances over the bed.

"Landion lost his mother and aunt," Harune said at last. "He is having a hard time recovering emotionally, physically, and mentally from his experiences."

"Does he not have any other family?" Legolas asked.

"Yes, but only distant relations. We called his second cousin's grandson to help him accept his loss but he knows little of him, or his wife. They are not able to connect with him in any helpful way."

"Will he die?"

"I should hope not," Healer Jailil said, his voice tight. "Those are not questions you should be asking right now; your voice needs rest."

Legolas tugged on Thranduil's sleeve. "Ada? Is he—is Lord Katar dead?"

"Yes," Harune answered.

"Did you kill him?" Legolas asked.

Harune rose to his feet and picked up the empty tray. "Yes, I did."

Legolas sank into his pillows, sliding down a ways. He snuggled against his father's side, his eyes brightened by the knowledge death separated him from Lord Katar.

Harune left the room, followed by a tense Healer Jailil.

"I doubt you should have spoken of such dark things with Legolas while he is still recovering," Healer Jailil said low, sounding far from pleased.

Harune shoved his tray into Healer Jailil's arms as he heard a low sob coming from Landion's room. "Meanwhile, your patient needs comforting."

Healer Jailil deposited both trays into the arms of his nearest apprentice and hurried after Harune. Landion's small room contained a bed and table. Tears streamed down Landion's face. Leaning over him, a tall elleth and ellon tried to comfort him but Landion was beyond reach except from the gentlest touch, in a world full of grief and despair.

Harune slipped past both elves, noticing their pinched faces, and sat down beside Landion. Healer Jailil escorted the two standing elves out of the room, into the hallway beyond. He closed the door, leaving Harune to attempt to sooth Landion.

With a slight bow toward Healer Jailil, the elleth spoke. Her black hair flowed in rich rivers from her head, onto her bosom. Her low cut green gown set off her pale, lustrous skin, and wide, dark eyes.

"Healer Jailil, please forgive us, but we cannot look after the elfling." Her soft voice held sorrow but it was firm.

Healer Jailil's frowned. "May I inquire as to why, Nigella?"

Nigella hesitated, glancing at her frustrated husband.

"We understand he is family," she said. "But we have elflings of our own. Landion refuses to connect with us at all, and he resists our attempts at comforting him. He is beyond our help. You will have to find someone else. Landion does not like us."

Healer Jailil drew in a deep breath. "I see. I extend my gratitude to you and your husband for coming at my wishes, and for trying to help Landion. I will no longer require your presence; you are free to return home."

Nigella slipped her hand into her husband's. With a pained look on her face, she looked up into his eyes as they walked away. As soon as they were out of sight, Healer Jailil swore and kicked the wall, much to the shock of his eldest son, coming out of a nearby room with a bottle in hand. Without leaving his son to say a word, Healer Jailil fled to his office and snatched up the list of Landion's family members. With vicious strokes, he crossed Nigella and her husband off the list. He sank down in his chair with a sigh and stared at the list until Harune stepped into the large, carpeted room and closed the door behind him.

"Landion is sleeping," he said.

"I do not feel as though any of his family members will be able to help Landion," Healer Jailil admitted. "And I have not the heart to put Landion through the added pain of seeing every one of the persons on this confounded list. Neither do I wish to hurt them with the pain of not being able to help him."

"It is a difficult situation," Harune said softly. "What of his father?"

"Killed by orcs," Healer Jailil said promptly. "I tended to him myself but he was beyond help. I-I feel rather guilty about it, as though I owe Landion something for not saving his father."

Harune leaned across the desk and placed his hand over Healer Jailil's. "No fault rested with you. I will see what I can do about finding Landion someone who can connect with him."

Healer Jailil slumped in his seat as Harune stepped out of the room. The task seemed hopeless. Hopeless. The word echoed in his heart.