A New Dawn Rising

Harune stared in distress at Hyrondal. "What do you mean, missing? It cannot be so! Five elves have disappeared and you cannot find them?"

Harune gestured wildly with his hands as he spoke. He had returned from his visit to the Iron Hills to find Mirkwood in pieces. It did nothing to fulfill his expectations upon returning home. He had been looking forward to a warm hug from his son and Legolas's bright eyes. Not this disaster!

"You misunderstand, my lord," Hyrondal protested, his face tight with worry. "We know where the missing elves are, due to a trail we found after the king and prince disappeared. But we cannot rescue them."

"Why not?" Harune demanded.

"They are in the Forbidden Grove," Hyrondal explained.

Harune leaned back against his horse. Upon dismounting outside the palace doors, Hyrondal had accosted him with the bad news. He was still in travel garb, and now feeling faint.

"It makes no difference," Harune said with determination, straightening up. "I cannot leave my son in the grip of evil. I will brave the mists of the Forbidden Grove alone for I cannot ask any of you to risk your lives for me or my son."

Hyrondal bristled. "I beg your pardon, but I respect the king as much as you love him. I will gladly place my life at his feet. I would rather risk my life with you then stand by and do nothing. I saw how much Legolas changed Thranduil. And wherever they may be suffering together, I want to help end it."

"Valar, thank you for giving me a good son and a wonderful leader," Harune thought, "Not many would be so willing to risk their lives for their king."

Aloud, Harune said, "I am grateful for your help. We will leave immediately with whoever else is willing to help us."

"I know the elves under my command are as loyal to the king as I am," Hyrondal said, gesturing to the armored, apprehensive elves behind him.

"We have little time to waste," Harune said, raising his chin. "We leave now for the Forbidden Grove. If any if you wish to stay behind, I will not force you to come."

None of the gathered elves spoke. Spears in hand, they followed Harune into the forest on foot. Harune's tired guard dismounted and headed toward the palace, their hearts aching with worry but too tired to help recover their king, if he lived.

The woods were silent and every leaf crunched with loud noise. Hyrondal pointed to the snapped sticks marking the trail that had led him to the Forbidden Grove. Harune could imagine Thranduil brushing against the braches and stepping on the sticks as he walked, in the grasp of whatever evil had him.

As the white mist of the Forbidden Grove came into view, hiding the trees in white fog, the party of elves stopped. Even Harune hesitated, his courage failing him as he eyed the mist that had taken many elves and never given them back. He looked at his nervous companions, seeing they were as nervous as he. The mist swirled around the trees, alluring shapes visible in it. Beautiful voices drifted out of the mist, tearing at the elves' will to stay back.

Harune let himself to drawn forward. At the edge of the fog he stopped and looked back at his companions. He drew the sword from the sheath at his side and plunged into the mist. His mind remained clear; at the end of the mist, somewhere ahead, was his son and Legolas. He had to rescue them. To fail was not an option he had.

Hyrondal glanced at his men before he too stepped into the mist. His feet crunched over . . . bones? He shuddered. Behind him were the dim shapes of his men and ahead he could see Harune moving with determination in every stride. Squaring his shoulders, he prepared to face the evils of the Forbidden Grove and fight the deadly fog swirling around him. Without doubt, it would be the most fierce fight of his long life.