Happy Days

Thranduil leaned back in his armchair, staring into the flames flickering in the hearth. Legolas sat at his feet, trying to teach Landion how to play one of his favorite board games. Harune sat across from him, his hands folded in his lap, looking down at his young son with a small smile.

As Thranduil's eyes shifted to his father, Harune's head came up.

"Are you feeling all right?" Harune asked.

"Yes," Thranduil answered.

Harune smiled. "I am glad you survived Lord Katar's cruelty. Without you, my world is not whole."

"I feel the same," Thranduil said. "What will you do about your visit to the Iron Hills to see your daughter?"

"I will have to wait to travel to see her family until I feel safe taking Landion with me," Harune said. "And if he does not want to come, I feel perfectly all right leaving him with you. But right now I am not ready or willing to leave him."

Thranduil nodded.

"Of course, I could ask her and her husband and children to come here," Harune added, as if struck by a bolt of brilliance.

"I am not sure if I want dwarves invading my realm quite yet," Thranduil said.

"The dwarves of the Iron Hills let me invade them," Harune pointed out. "It is only fair to return the favor. Besides, it will only be for a few months. But I will wait for your consent."

"I was joking," Thranduil said.

"You were?" Harune said in mock surprise.

Thranduil dropped the subject as Legolas scraped himself off the floor and clambered into his lap.

"Who won?" Thranduil asked.

"Nobody," said Legolas with a yawn. "We are both tired." He rested his head on Thranduil's chest.

"You have to stay awake a little longer, ion nin," Thranduil said, giving his son a little shake. "I cannot carry anything heavy until Healer Jailil says I may, and you are no exception. I wish I could."

Legolas yawned again as he slid out of his father's lap. Thranduil stood up and followed Legolas toward the door. He glanced over his shoulder at Harune, stroking Landion's dark hair, and said, "Goodnight."

Harune smiled and Landion murmured something as his big brother and nephew walked out the door.

"Can I sleep here?" Landion asked drowsily.

"Yes," said Harune. "I can carry you to bed."

Landion sighed; a small sigh of happiness. "I love you . . . ada."

Harune's breath caught in his throat and a tear of joy trickled down his cheek. "I love you, Landion, so much."

And, in the warmth of a big, warm bed, covered in blankets of happiness, another father and son were saying the exact same thing.

Author's Note:

Thank you all so much for reading. I loved hearing your thoughts and comments. The next in the series will be called My Word, and will be out soon, I hope. As of now, I am turning my attention back to Benders.

Benders: Web of Lies: The war is over and Sauron is defeated, driven back by the last Alliance of Men and Elves. Thranduil and his wife are raising their four children in Mirkwood. But Thranduil's troubles are not over yet for never before could he have imagined his gifts could cause such a rift to open in the ties of family love or cause one he loves to be cruelly injured. Third in the Benders Series.

Web of Lies tells the tale of Legolas Thranduilion as he struggles to accept why he is being treated the way he is, and fights against the web of darkness closing in around him as he searches to find the courage to stand up to his father, who may not even be responsible for his suffering.

It is not necessary to read the first two Benders books to understand this one, as Web of Lies is more centered around Thranduil and his family, and any unique aspects will be easy to pick up without confusion. I will hope to see you there; thanks for reading.