thirteen.

Present. September 30th, 2018.

This week flew by and luckily wasn't as terrible as it started. My head was going through millions of jumbled thoughts as I walked to Lenny's this Sunday morning. It was warm for late September, and I smiled contently as the small shop came into view. The fact that October is so near surprising me but excites me at the same time. I love fall.

Surprisingly, the run-ins with my mother were minimal. She's been taking more extended shifts at work. I would assume to avoid me. Ever since our 'heart-to-heart,' she's tried to pretend that it didn't happen. Not that I mind, more free time for me.

Walking down to Lenny's seemed faster than I remembered, which was weird because I wasn't running. This time, I wasn't going to get my usual coffee order. Well, I was, but I was also going to see if Lenny still had a job opened for me. It was time to pull in some cash for myself because taking my parents hard earned cash to feed my caffeine addiction didn't feel right.

The usual Sunday chatting welcomes me when I step foot into the coffee shop. Lenny's preoccupied eyes roam around until they read me and I offer him a bright smile. He returns it to me as I walk over.

"Hey Lenny, how's your Sunday?" I start, rolling my sleeves up on my black raincoat.

"It's been alright so far. Better now that you're here." He winks, and I shake my head, laughing.

"Feeling a bit cheesy today, are we?" I don't know what has sparked my good mood, but It feels good. Different but good. My mood was so good that I ditched my dark eyeshadow again for the day. I would never ditch it altogether, it was a part of me.

"Just a bit now." He chuckles and walks me along the length of the front counter to the cash register. "Just you're usual?" I nod, and he punches in my order.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that job you offered me a little bit ago. Is it still available?" Lenny hardly lets me finish my sentence before his ecstatic facial expressions speak for him.

"Finally! I was hoping you'd come around. Like I said Dear, we've always got the room for you. When can you start?" He says all this much too quickly for my Sunday morning comprehension level, and I blink a couple times before responding.

"I can start now if you want me to? Doesn't seem too busy but I could always clean or something." I shrug, and Lenny nods enthusiastically.

"Here's an apron, drink your coffee and relax for a couple minutes, then I'll get you started. Sound good?" He hands me my apron from behind the counter with 'Lenny's Coffee Shop' sprawled across it. I smile remembering Roselyn's annoyance at creating the new design. As a young girl, I always wanted to work here. I have known Lenny for my practically entire childhood, so working here almost seemed inevitable.

Carson came out, almost on cue, and handed me my drink with a smile. I thanked him and went to sit in my usual booth, scrolling away on my phone. I started to wonder what working with Carson would be like. He already talks my ear off when we only have a 40-minute class together, what would he do with a full shift?

"Lena!" Lenny shouted to me from across the shop.

I laughed, "Yes, Lenny?"

"Can you write me down what hours you would be able to do and what days you're typically free?" He dangles a piece of paper and pen in his hand with his signature old man grin. I pull myself up with a nod and grab the paper and pen from the man.

I pretty much am perfectly content with being here every day after school and on weekends. It's not like being home with my mother is appealing. I decided to leave Monday and Friday off of my available days considering they seem like the most logical answers. Friday's are my 'calm down about my hatred for the school day,' and Monday is my 'please kill me day.' I scribble my hours on the sheet and finish the last drop of my coffee, tying my new apron around my waist.