fifteen.

Present. October 4th, 2018

My father deemed it the perfect night to go out and get some ice cream. Why? I really couldn't tell you.

It's a Thursday night, one of the first freezing nights of the season and my Dad barges into my room as soon as I get home from work demanding he takes me for ice cream. Not that I'm complaining.

Maybe he's doing it out of the kindness of his heart, but the smarter more logical part of my brain tells me he wants to talk about something. He is a bit slower than usual, more calculated with his words. I'm sure my mother's absence has something to do with this. As if that wasn't my first clue.

When we get to the front of the line and finally order our ice cream, we pull back into my Dads Jeep and start it up, letting it warm up as we sit quietly. We are in perfect view of the sunset, and I smile, my childhood coming to mind vividly.

My eyes trained on the beautiful colors mixed that are created by nothing but the sun, whereas my Dad is looking at me, a crease between his brows. He's definitely thinking of how to tell me whatever he's going to say.

"Spill it, Father." I scowl, taking a lick of my ice cream. "I've had enough staring for the week." Carson's lingering eyes at work come to mind and I try to shove the image of his dark brown eyes out of my head. Why are they there in the first place?

"Lena, you know I love you more than anything in this entire world, right?" Great. That's always a great way to start out a conversation. I furrow my brows and nod. "You know that you and your mom are the most important things in my life, right?" I nod again, frowning slightly this time. What is he getting at? "Then you know that any work decision I make is to benefit you two, always, right?"

"Dad, if you ask me 'right' one more time I'm going to explode. Get to the point, please?" He chuckles softly as I scowl, my impatience growing.

"I know you and your mom's relationship is difficult, for lack of a more suitable word, but know that this isn't because I want to put you in a bad position but because it's what I need to do to provide for you both." Please tell me he isn't about to move to Africa or something. Africa? Really, Lena?

"God, Dad. What is going on?" I rush, my frown etched on my face.

"I have to take a two-week business trip to Los Angelos. It's where my work is. I know that it's difficult for you to be alone with your mother, and I know that it's difficult for me to leave you both for such long periods of time, but it's where my next business trip needs to be." He rambles and I sigh heavily. Two whole weeks alone with my mother? Fantastic.

I know my Dad feels bad. I know he knows the horror of my mother and I's relationship. I know that I've got to let him go because I know that it's the best move.

"It's fine, Dad. We will be fine. We hardly speak anyway." I say, brushing it off to make my Dad feel a bit better. "When do you leave?"

He grins widely and embraces me in a hug, my ice cream skillfully going over his shoulder without a touch. I return the hug, patting his back. "If your mother says or does anything at all you call me, okay? I leave tomorrow morning."

Tomorrow? Sigh. "I will, promise." I give him an assuring smile and he returns it happily, finishing off his ice cream and starting up the car.

"Can I walk?" I say abruptly. He has a puzzled look on his face, questioning me. "I just want to embrace the decent weather before it's gone."

"Alright. Are you sure you're okay?" He repeats and I roll my eyes with a grin.

"I'm fine, don't worry. I just like that walk, Dad."