Chapter 1

Friends we are,
But are we more?
"The best ones," we say,
But is that all?

The stolen glances,
The 'look-within' stares,
The cautious blushes,
An extrinsic tale they share.

Our yearning hearts
Never accorded with what we say,
Our moonlit conversations
Totally disobey.

"Just friends," we say
But are we more?
"The best ones," we know,
But is that all?

'Not meant to be together'
Is what our hearts are told,
In a parallelly contrived universe
A  disparate story unfolds.

The unvoiced words,
Turned voiceless with time,
The unarticulated feelings
Harmonized the 'Unrequited' chime.

Whatever's in the air,
Is quasi-lethal for us,
We should debar our unshielded selves
From being tainted by it, thus.

The fear of non-acceptance
Led our hearts apart,
Distance didn't play a role here,
Though Cupid over-did its part.

'Just-friends' we are,
Cannot dare be more,
"The best ones," we know,
And maybe that's all.

Though friendship is what,
We'll definitely keep,
An unfinished business,
We'll always be.

I completed my poem and sent it to Samaira for her review. She wasn't online, as usual. I remembered what Aayan had said, I am writing for myself. Hadn't it been for him, I'd have never dared to write a single poem, let alone a whole book.

"Wadduppp," came a text. Aadi it was.

"Hey. I was just writing something. What about you?"

"Another poem for your book? Send it to me. I am bored as hell."

I forwarded my poem to him and went offline.

Can I ever show the poem to the one it's meant for? Will he even read my book when it's published? - I wondered.

**You have a new message** flashed on my phone screen.

I swiped up to find Aadi's text stating, "It's for Animesh, ain't it?" with a sad smiley at the end.

"You always get to know, don't you?" I replied, with the monkey-closing-its-eyes emoji, to dilute the effect.

"That's not the topic here. Will you please talk to him atleast? I can't see you like this."
I sighed.

"Talking is no more an option my friend. We have crossed that stage since months, or a year, I guess. Anyways forget it. How's my poem? Good enough to put in a book?"

"The poem is awesome as always. But seriously girl, if you don't talk to him today I am going to go right there and punch you in your face!"

"You don't get it. It's not that simple anymore. Moreover he doesn't want to talk about it. You really think I haven't tried?"

"How am I supposed to get it when I don't even know the whole story? Will you tell me that first? The whole of it? Why is it not so simple?"

"Come on. I have told you before. I cannot tell you over text messages. I'll tell you once we meet. Anyways it's not that important anymore."

"I'll be in town next month for a couple of days. And you are so not backing out then, mind you!"

"Hehe. Okay. You come first. We'll see then," I replied, with the smiley face that sticks out its tongue.