Chapter Four

Before you could process what was happening, before you could stop it or pull away, Dean's lips crashed to yours.

Your body was rigid and your eyes were blown wide. One of his hands were on your waist and the other was on the back of your neck, keeping you in place. Your entire body felt as though it was just shocked with a jolt of electricity and your skin felt alive. The smell of him made your heart ache; leather, gunpowder and a hint of mint. From here, you could see each freckle and the slightly darker color of his eyelids. God, how many times had you wished for this? Wished to be back in his arms.

    But you made a promise to yourself that night all those years ago. A promise you knew you had to keep.

    You pulled back abruptly, your hands pushing against Dean's chest. He opened his eyes and a look of hurt flashed across his face. His hands moved away from you and you took the opportunity to slide off the stool.   

    "Y/N, I... I'm sorry, I thought..." He trailed off and got off his chair as well.

    "I, uh... I have to go," You said. You spun on your heel and made your way through the bar as fast as you could, biting your lip to hold the tears back. So many emotions were flowing through you, it was overwhelming.

Why did he have to do that? You were having a good time, which was odd considering the company, and then he had to go off and do... That!

You rushed down the sidewalk and wrapped your arms around yourself. The temperature had dropped significantly and you begin shivering in the wind. The streets were bare of people, the hour late, and the only sound was the chirping of crickets and sailboat masts clicking together on the harbour. The moon was covered by a haze of clouds, the stars now only partially visible. It seemed as though the world around you changed when your mood did. The once lively night and bright sky now dead and dim.

You knew of a shortcut through a patch of woods that would get you to your building quicker but you hesitantly took it. You remembered your gun before you left your apartment, filled with silver bullets just in case, but you were out of practice with werewolves.

Thinking for a moment, you decided to go with it. Not only would you not be found by Dean if he wanted to look for you, but you were cold and this would get you home faster.

You crossed the street to the concrete path through the patch of woods. It was darker inside the woods, but the trees were beginning to lose leaves so some of the moon's light shone through.

To be honest, you were scared. You hadn't dealt with anything inside your town since you lived there and you hadn't dealt with werewolves in over a year. You kept up shooting, going to ranges every now and again to prevent yourself from getting rusty with guns, but what you were rusty on was your hand to hand combat.

The feel of the cool metal of your gun tucked in the waistband of your jeans was comforting as you walked through the trees. It was even quieter as you got deeper into the woods and colder. Your nose and ears were being nipped at with each gust of frosty wind and you shivered harder.

Snap.

You stopped dead in your tracks. That was definitely a snap of a twig. Your heart began to race and your breathing began to pick up as you looked around you. You slowly moved your hand to your gun and wrapped your hand around the grip, pulling it to the front of you and holding it down low. You listened intently for a few moments but you didn't hear anything else.

Keeping your gun out, you began moving again, only to hear a few crunches of leaves to your right. Now you were worried. Whatever was out there was moving with you.